Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

next years strain choices,,,comments on my choices please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
id like some input, on my selections,,, ive got all these seeds, just waiting for next summer,,,

im growing them for cigg. purposes,

..LIZARD TAIL '' TURTLE FOOT''> DARK TOBACCOO . HEAVY LEAF WEIGHT. A FIRE CURED BACCY, MED SIZED LEAVES,

..DARK VIRGINIA.> dark burley, flue cure, strong cigg, baccy

..WHITE STOCK BURLEY> good mixing burley

..MONTE CALME> 6 FT. TALL PLANT BURLEY TYPE BACCY, good producer,

ERGO>> mild burley, a decent mix light burley,,,a must have for ciggs.

...TN 90 LK BURLEY> real strong burley, good for mixing, cigg. and pipe uses,a tennessee burley.

...BURSA> mild baccy,, good blending,,oriental baccy,,best blended with burleyand flue cured baccy,a must have,

....YELLOW TWIST BUD> 5' tall plant,mild baccy, niced sized leaves,,good mixing baccy,

...OTTOMAN HY .> 10 ft. tall,, cross between a burley and a oriental, mix with burley,,and another variety for a classic american smoke,,more of a oriental plant,

..14l8 burley high yielder, 8 ft. tall, strong burley,
...SILK LEAF> dont know too much about this one, still researching,,,
..BIG -GEM> GREW THIS PLANT THIS YEAR A GOOD MILD BURLEY,, CLOSE TOO A ORIENTAL, A LIGHT LEAF,,,
shariza> A TUKISH BACCY SMALL LEAVES,, I GREW THIS THIS YEAR A GOOD BACCY,

thats my selection, i have other seeds, but i dont know if they will make it to the ground,,,,

..silver river
havana
vavilov
mcy

any input would be gratefull..any knowledge or suggestions you may have on certain strains youve grown,,, and speak from experience,,,,

any '' things'' i may need to look out for, on certain strains,,,,e.t.c.

any input you can add would be gratefull....:cool:

Daniel

Banned
Lesse,
Lizard Tail. IN my searching aroudn I have sort of decided thsi is more of a tobacco for other than cig pourposes. just my thougth no experience with it.

Monte Calm Yellow I grew this year. Good producer, earliest of all my varieties for maturing. still no taste tests to go by but I am thinking it is going to be a pretty good smoking leaf.

Yellow Twist Bud, My number one producing variety this year. I primed most of it and probably should have stalk harvested it. It is setting in bags waiting for the last of the leaf for this year to dry out and be ready for the kiln. It is doing a good job of aging with no help from the kiln at all.

Bursa, I grew 4 plants to a 5 gal bucket. Only 16 buckets worth though. still got a good yield for that small of a test. Again not sure on the taste. get ready to handle a lot of little leaves.

I don't know anything about the others. The only other type of tobacco I grew was Virginia bright leaf. I probably will not be growing it again. I don't think the bucket growing thing agrees with it.

Don't forget to go with what you know from this year and then try to spread out a little from that. An education is a sad thing to waste.

Edited to add:
I just tried some of the YTB since this thread got me to thinking about it. This tobacco was primed, cured, brought back to case and shredded three months ago at most. It has since jsut set in a bag in my bedroom. I rolled a cigarette when it was first shredded and it was a very mild almost like sucking air tobacco with a very weed like after taste. I waited about a month and tried another taste test that showed some degree of improvement of the after taste but otherwise no punch from the smoke at all. I just smoked another cigarette rolled from it. the weedy aftertaste is nearly gone. I only noticed it with the last drag or two from the entire cigarette. other than that it has developed a very pleasant taste. It is still quite mild and want to add a bit of kick to it and the nicotine is nearly perfect as a full flavor tobacco. The flavor is actually very nice for the first half of the smoke when it begins to deteriorate and develop a slight hint of that weedyness. I am confident that with a bit more time that taste will be removed. It is not quite there yet but I am certain this leaf will eventually make a pleasant cigarette all of it's own and a crack one with a bit of blending for some kick. I suspect it would not take more than 6 months to age this tobacco even without a kiln. I understand that stalk curing it will result in a strong tobacco compaierd to the mild version I have due to prime harvesting. I am wondering if you harvested half and half if you could not come up with a suitable blend for cigarettes from this tobacco alone. Being the best producing tobacco I have grown so far that would be a great benefit.

By the way the leaf in my avatar is from YTB grown in 5 gal buckets.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I think...if you're growing that many varieties for personal use, you might confuse yourself. I also think if you never tried some of these varieties, you might want to plant a limited number plants to give those varieties a test drive first. Then plant a larger number of the varieties that you know you like.

Some of the varieties you've chosen are tried and tested already. YTB, Ergo, TN 90 and Bursa I can personally vouch for as being excellent varieties. Ottoman and Silk leaf leave something to be desired (IMO). Lizard Tail, 14l8 and Big Gem I know nothing about.

Dark Virginia and White Stock Burley sound like made up names so you might not have any idea what you're going to get, but I could be wrong about both of them...I never heard of either and I can't find any information on either of them. I have the same suspicion about the MCY, but others seam to believe it's a legitimate variety. In my opinion...it's exactly the same as TN 90.

The Shariza you already know about.

Silver River is a very unusual variety due to it's flavor. I haven't heard a lot about it in spite of all of the seeds I've given away/sold.

Havana (?) There are many strains of Havana. The only one I've ever grown is 142 and it is one of the best tobaccos I've ever tasted.

Vavilov is an unruley Burley (I think) that grows a lot of suckers and get's spindly, but the flavor is superb. It would take a lot of dedication to grow a large number of these plants, but it is manageable for home growers with great reward. If someone were to grow a half acre of this variety, they could demand a nice buck from smaller scale cigar makers. The same goes for Havana 142, YTB, Bursa. I also believe Ergo would make a fine substitute for CT Shade leaf with considerably less work than CT Shade.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
thanks for the input,,,

and yes next year i plan on growing a lot of what i know, and a lot of strains i get good vibes on,,,, and a sample of all the rest,,,

i plan on doing some major catalouging,, what type of baccy is hanging on that wire,,,,,e.t.c.

...i would like to end up with about 20-59 lbs. to sell locally,,,,, plus my own use, and storage i may want to do,,,

i plan on having a good sized area next year,,, ive allready got a ton of chicken manure ''waiting'' and acess to a tractor,, with a bucket/tiller attachment,,,

im thinking of going with a drip-line { havent researched that yet} and 15 rows,????

gotta look at my future spot, and estimate the ammount of plants/vs/ how many rows i will have,,,,

getiing prepared early... helps in sucess,,,,

Daniel

Banned
I recommend a drip line to anyone. I have to use them. We live in a dessert and using traditional sprinklers results in the water just drying up before it can ever soak into the ground. I have found that drip irrigation right at the base of a plant has huge benefits for it's growth. It is more than simply getting water to the plant. there is something else in it that is causing it to be a better method of watering than others. Plus it saves a ton of water and keeps weeds down.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
yes^^^^

ive used a drip=line,,, 13 years ago,, on just my garden,,, and was very impressed with the results,,,

ive got a plan for this drip-line set-up....

no waste,,,,

mackavally

i to like drip lines with a water barrel you add the tea to the barrel and ferget about watering

grgfinney

I am also planning a lot of different varietys next year some of these sound very interesting. Any feedback would be welcome, monte calme yel,perique,yellow twist bud,walkers broadleaf,tenn red leaf,and finally black sea samson any idea where i might aquire some small samples ?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Maybe pm fmgrowit and see if he'll do a sampler for you, I know he already markets a cigarette sampler.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
grgfinney, My opinion...
Monte Calme Yellow makes a nice tasting pipe tobacco. I have not tried it for anything else
Perique, not processed as perique but air cured makes a nice pipe tobacco and adds a nice flavor when added to a filler blend for cigars.
Yellow Twist Bud makes a great chew, a nice pipe tobacco and a nice blend with a Virgina for cigarettes
Black Sea Sampsun- tough call because there are lots of varities that go by this name. BSS-Maden is my favorite for a pipe. BSS-Canick I do not care for, it is bland with just a tough too much nicotine for my likes.

Randy B

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
Well, I've decided also what I'm growing for the 2013 crop --
Virginia Bright Leaf, Yellow Twist Bud burley, Keller Maryland and Havana 142.
This is what I grew this year, and it makes a great blend for full flavor cigarettes, although I've only sampled the early air-cured leaf, I expect it to be even better after fermenting and rest-period aging.

But I'm always open to other suggestions for a great cig blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.