Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

"Nostrano Cubano" Grow Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciennepi

I HAVE THE SEED!!!
I'm able to harvest the seed pods to take going my project.
There are two plants that show the better resistance to PVY. They growed good and without sign of infection, BUT, they are very different each other. So I save the seed of the two plants, both in shape of pure strain bagging the flowers and in shape of hybrid with a new cross with Vuelta Abajo.
This are the seeds of one of the plants that have littler leaves and of a more pale green color. It is more similar to Vuelta Abajo. On the label you can read the identification information.
20190913_120236.jpg
And this are the seeds of the other plant that is huge in comparison with dark green leaves. This is more similar to Nostrano del Brenta.
20190913_120603.jpg

Charly

Good job ! (y) :)
Did you save some leaves from these two plants ? So you might compare how they smoke.

ciennepi

Sadly I'm not so smart :cry:
I saved the leaves of this and other hybrid plants but put all together with the label Nostrano-Vuelta Abajo.
It will be a thing to do the nex year grow.

Charly

Don't worry, it was just an idea, if I was smart, I should have told you before ;)
It will be interesting to see what these 4 new cross will give next year !

ciennepi

Ever in this difficult time I have to push ahead with my project!
I chose the best hybrid of the past year plants, those with the biggest and darkest leaves and the best resistance to PVY, and sowed with my standard procedure in a cap of a bottle of milk that goes inside my aquarium. 25 C and about 100% RU. In max a week I hope to see the first seedling.
This seedling have 75% of Vuelta Abajo and 25 % of Nostrano del Brenta.
20200316_205010.jpg
20200316_205331.jpg

ChinaVoodoo

I have been reading that they often graft disease resistant tomato roots to stems of tomatoes that are chosen for fruit characteristics. Would you consider trying that out with tobacco? If it worked, you could grow anything you wanted.

Charly

I have been reading that they often graft disease resistant tomato roots to stems of tomatoes that are chosen for fruit characteristics. Would you consider trying that out with tobacco? If it worked, you could grow anything you wanted.
That's a very interesting idea, it could be interesting to try !
I am currently trying to simply give a better soil to my plants to see if they are more strong against diseases.
Last year I had some great success with just giving mulching to protect the soil.
I also made a mound ("Hugelkultur bed") in which my Little Dutch grew very well (no infected plant at all).
So this year I will continue with these techniques.
But I will save the grafting idea for future tests.

ciennepi

Thanks Chinawoodoo for the hint but my goal is to create a simil Vuelta Abajo that I can directly sow in the soil and that is resistante to PVY.
Thanks Charly for the hint. I didn't heard of Hugelkultur but a quick search open me a lot of information. It's a very intelligent tecnique and I will try it this year.
But I don't understand how it can help with PVY that is a disease trasmitted by the flea that suck the plants sap.

Charly

I have read a lot about permaculture and other agricultural techniques the last months.
People using these techniques noticed that plants grown in protected soil (not naked soil) grow better and stronger, had a better resistance against diseases and pests.

The concept is that a plant living on a soil full of life is in better conditions.

I have not a lot of experience with this (since I only begun last year), but I have already noticed the difference.
I grew 10 plants of Little Dutch a few years ago : it grew, but all the plants were infected with pvy, all the leaves were ugly (but smokable).
So last year I tried the very same seeds (the original ones that I used a few years ago) in a newly created "Hugelkultur bed". The results were pretty good : NO infected plant at all (on 15 plants).

It can be luck, it can be randomness, so I won't conclude too soon, BUT I will continue this way to see if my (bad) situation with PVY can become better ;)

Charly

The timing of transplantation could impact, but in my case, my plants are already outside before transplantation (for the most part of the day, for at least one month before I put them in the ground).
We'll see this year if the situation is good ;)

WisconsinLeaf

This is my new grow blog. It would be a blog that will last several years (at least in my aim).
It's two years that I grow Vuelta Abajo and either years all my plants was affected from PVY and I harvest only 10-20% of the potential crop.
I have the availability of large fields but in my area all the soil is heavy infected from PVY, probably cause the century of grow of potatoes.
In 2018 I grow Nostrano del Brenta and all my plant have been immune to PVY.
So just for fun, but in a approach as rigorous as possible, I will cross Vuelta Abajo with Nostrano del Brenta.
The aim is to get a Vuelta Abajo with the same good original flavour but with PVY resistance. So I cross either way male and femal plants, next year I will sow the highest possible number of F1 and IF someone will present PVY resistance I will back cross with Vuelta Abajo for a few years to bring back the flavour to a pure cuban cigar strain.
If I will get a useful strain his name will be "Nostano Cubano".
Wish me luck for the project or, how we say in Italy, tell me "merda" ;)
Above is one of the first seed pods of this project, a cross between a Vuelta Abajo male and a Nostano del Brenta femal.
View attachment 25734
Do it you awesome genetic scientist! I wish i had more earth to grow more plants! You are doing something I want to do. Create.

WisconsinLeaf

Since we don't know the genetics of PVY resistance (autosomal, sex-linked, dominant, recessive, mitochondrial), I have no basis for recommending which cross to select. Our dreams always bump into practicalities.

With no basis for deciding, your current choice is as good as any.

Bob
Trust serendipty!

Status
Not open for further replies.