Whole Leaf Tobacco

Old Dinosaurs' Grow Blog 2019

OldDinosaurWesH

Well, it's that time of the year again.

I'm setting up my germination operation today and will start planting seeds tomorrow.

I've been making a list, and I have 11 names on it. As you can see from my photo attached, I need to scrounge up one more bottle if I'm going to start 11 types. Oh yeah! there is one more bottle in the 'fridge I can use.

Tobacco seedlings 2019 3-2-19 -2c.jpg

My list includes:

1. NC 2326
2. Criollo Missionero
3. Ostrolist 316
4. Gold Leaf 939
5. Golden Burley
6. Ternopolskii 7
7. Harrow Velvet
8. Delhi 34
9. Chillard's White Angel
10. Silver River
11. Florida Sumatra.

I'm regrowing Delhi 34 and Chillard's White Angel this year, as these two got planted in a poor spot last year and never really had a chance to do much.

NC 2326 and Criollo Missionero were donated by a member, and I am planning on planting limited numbers of these as an experiment.

Silver River and Florida Sumatra are also new to me, but I haven't gotten the seed in the mail yet, so we'll see if these make the cut or not.

In spite of the unseasonable cold and snow, my Amaryllis bulbs have decided that it is spring time and are starting to throw up flower shoots. This is a definite sign of spring!

Tobacco seedlings 2019 3-2-19 -1c.jpg

Wes H.

CobGuy

Love the bottles … that's a great repurposing.

It looks like you'll have your hands pretty full with 11 varieties … Good luck! :)

~Darin

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Florida Sumatra should be an easy wrapper leaf (or a mild puro) for you. Silver River may be related to the Criollo Misionero--or not.

Good luck with the season.

Bob

OldDinosaurWesH

Well...

The bottles just happen to fit into a standard tray nicely, and it's always good to get some use out of what would otherwise be wasteful trash. Actually, I got most of those bottles from a co-worker who was going to throw them away. I quit drinking bottled tea, and make my own from bulk leaf. I import my tea all the way from Seattle. (My dry humor!)

I'm shooting for about 160 plants in total. Some, I will only plant about 6, others two dozen or so. I'm still working on the layout to make all of this stuff fit on the ground I have available. I start with a general layout, and then adapt from there. I never end up with exactly what I had planned on. Close is the best I can do. Mother nature has her ways and she doesn't explain them to us! I've been lucky, I have only lost three to transplantation shock. Ever. So...Yes I baby my babies!

I'm also going to plant more watermelons and a few Brussels Sprouts. Hopefully, I can keep the bugs out of the Brussels Sprouts. We have lots of cabbage loopers around here which love to chew on anything cabbage related. (Peas too.) I'm going to start my cabbages and watermelons earlier this year. Last year I started too late and got fruit, but only at the last minute. And of course a few (new, different varieties) poppies for some color.

Wes H.

rainmax

Founding Member
Good luck with your grow.
Put some holes on the bottom of those bottles. I believe you water them too much.
On new bottle rather put foil on top and less water ...

OldDinosaurWesH

My this year's new seedlings are nearly ready for their first transplant. So far so good. If the weather cooperates I'm on track for a good year.

Photo of our local attraction, Palouse falls. High water from snow melt makes for a fairly spectacular view. The water falls 190 feet.

Palouse Falls High Water reduced.jpg

I also learned that someone took an estimated 12 foot long Sturgeon from the nearby Snake river. They left the head and insides behind on the riverbank. The river is currently closed to the keeping of Sturgeon and I understand the Fish and Wildlife guys are investigating. It takes a very long time to grow a 12 footer, and unfortunately, those are the ones that make all the little Sturgeon.

Later.

Wes H.