Onion, Cheese and Garlic Enchiladas in Sweet Mole Sauce - One Pot

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Onion, Cheese and Garlic Enchiladas in Sweet Mole

Garden20180224_3406_enchiladas_sweetMole_complete_600.jpg

Goal number one is to dirty only one pot. I'm using small, white corn tortillas, to make a serving of 4 small, cheese enchiladas.

Garden20180224_3396_enchiladas_sweetMole_enchiladaIngredients_600.jpg

Garden20180224_3395_enchiladas_sweetMole_moleIngredients_600.jpg

I finely sliced 5 small garlic cloves, then browned them in olive oil, and set them aside. One tiny, yellow onion was finely sliced. This was then rinsed in a strainer under the faucet, to tame the onion heat.

Each tortilla is placed into very hot olive oil for about 15 seconds on each side, turning them with kitchen tongs.

Garden20180224_3397_enchiladas_sweetMole_1tortillaInPot_600.jpg

One by one, they are set aside on a plate with a long strip of paper towel--enough to fold the towel between each oily tortilla.

Garden20180224_3400_enchiladas_sweetMole_tortillaSoftened_600.jpg

Each enchilada is made with shredded cheddar, a sprinkle of the browned garlic, and a spoonful of the sliced onion.

Garden20180224_3401_enchiladas_sweetMole_fillingPlaced_600.jpg

Each one is tightly rolled.

Garden20180224_3402_enchiladas_sweetMole_enchiladaRolled_600.jpg

They are placed, side-by-side into the now cooled pot, which still has a good coating of oil.. A 1/4 cup of water is added, then it is heated on low heat, until the enchiladas are hot through and through.

Garden20180224_3403_enchiladas_sweetMole_enchiladasInPot_600.jpg

The mole will need to be made in the same pot, after the enchiladas come out. It takes only a minute or so to thicken it. I start with a heaping tablespoon of corn starch. The main liquid will be my Kroger 1% Chocolate Milk, which will curdle if the taco sauce (which contains vinegar) is added before the milk is already mixed with the corn starch.

Garden20180224_3404_enchiladas_sweetMole_1tbspCornStarch_600.jpg

As usual in thickening a gravy, a tiny amount of liquid is added to the corn starch, in order to fully suspend it, then the remainder of the liquid is added--this done in a bowl or cup, not in the heated pot. So this can be stirred-up while the enchiladas are cooking. For the Taco Bell Mild Taco sauce, I roughly guess how much I would like to taste on a single, small enchilada, then add 4 times that to the mole sauce mixture.

Garden20180224_3405_enchiladas_sweetMole_addingTacoBellSauce_600.jpg

It will need to be stirred well again, just prior to dumping it into the hot pot for thickening--which requires constant stirring.

Once the enchiladas are done, and removed (I used a Nylon spatula to lift them all out at once), I added an additional 1/2 cup of water to the pot, plus the Mole mix. The Mole is quickly thickened (at medium-high heat) in the same pot. A little water (and fragments from the enchiladas) left over in the pot can be ignored. You can taste it as it heats, and salt to taste. The thickened Mole is then poured over the enchiladas. Left-over onion is sprinkled on top.

Garden20180224_3407_enchiladas_sweetMole_closeup_600.jpg

It's less messy, and a lot less work to simply use the corn tortillas as they come from the store (with no oil softening), but they then give you a doughy texture, and are not nearly as flavorful as tortillas dripping with olive oil. You could also add cocoa powder directly to the dry corn starch, then use water as the liquid. This would not be sweet (unless you used a cocoa mix), but could be made more intensely chocolaty, if that's what you prefer.

You can, of course, add cumin and other spices, and skip the Taco Bell sauce by using the powdered chili pepper of your choice.

I would guess that my active prep time for these four little enchiladas totaled about 30 minutes or less.

Bob

Smokin Harley

looks tasty ,Bob. whens dinner??
I make my own salsa verde when my gardening allows the ingredients. I also make a very very good and easy version of chicken enchiladas handed down from my mother as they used to live in El Paso. I've tweaked the recipe a little . My wife says they're totally restaurant quality. We absolutely love mexican food .

Charly

Yum !!
Nice enchiladas !
I love mexican food too, even if I tend to make it more "european", using a lot of "emmental" cheese :) I love emmental (and even more when it's cooked) !
And I put a loooot of onions (I love onions !)

Status
Not open for further replies.