Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pale lime green African red

nystuga

Any ideas what has gone wrong with my African reds? They are short ( bout 2 to 3 feet), very lime green. I used the same fertilizer with all my varietes but these are tiny and pale, while others are doing great.

Attachments

Patriotguy

Any ideas what has gone wrong with my African reds? They are short ( bout 2 to 3 feet), very lime green. I used the same fertilizer with all my varietes but these are tiny and pale, while others are doing great.
means they are lacking some nutrient they're showing signs of some kind of stress they should keep growing with watering though even if they lack something. Maybe the soils ph is off?

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
Don't water, mine love hot & dry.
Those look like mine just a 3 weeks ago, now they are 5+ to 7 feet tall, robust, and starting to show buds.

African Red does not have dark green leaves - always seems pale compared to other bright leaf strains, and the leaves are smaller. They will turn an even lighter green when they mature. I pick my leaves about 4-6 weeks after topping, they cure easy.

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I opened your image in a new browser tab, and fully enlarged it. Looking through the fine details of all those plants, I really don't see any significant health issues. Although the possibility that the pH is not in an ideal range is worth considering, that bed's proximity to the darker green tobacco beds makes that less likely.

I have never grown African reds, so I am not familiar with their maturation pattern. LeftyRighty's experience sounds like a plan.

Bob

nystuga

Thanks again you all! #LeftyRighty, I'll see what comes of them, my only worry is time. The summer in here Finland ain't that long, hopefully those mature before first frosts. We'll see. Flue curing will shorten otherwise the long curing time...

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
yeah, nystuga, I understand your concern about plant maturity & frost. Most bright leaf varieties mature in 50-60 days (from planting to topping), but Arfican Red matures in about 80 days, then add 3-4 weeks for the leaves to fully ripen. African Red is definitely not a short-season crop.

I'll have the same problem this year, as I was a month late getting my crop in the ground (weather & I had some health issues). I may have to flue-cure them also. A few years ago, we had an early fall & frost, about the same time I was picking the last of the African Red leaves. I went ahead and hung them in my shed to air-cure anyway, and just left them there through the winter.. By spring, all but a few cured out OK. Maybe I was just lucky! I admit the the safe thing to do is to flue-cure them, if you have the facilities to do so. Good luck to you.