Whole Leaf Tobacco

Perique advice for cigarette blend

Canadian1983

Hi everyone, just ordered my first 1/2 pound of perique from WLT. Hoping it can contribute to my cigarette blend which is currently all Virginias. Any suggestions? Or should I buy a pipe? Lol

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For a cigarette blend, I would suggest starting with 5% Perique, then work up from there in small increments (like 5% per adjustment), in order to find a taste and potency you like. Cigarette smokers usually expect a relatively acidic smoke.

In pipe blending, the assumption is that the actively combusting tobacco (the cherry) is much greater than with a cigarette. My usual goal with a pipe blend that includes flue-cured as well as Perique is to eliminate tongue bite. For Lemon Virginia, that balance point is roughly 5 parts Lemon to 3 parts Perique. With redder flue-cured, the proportion of Perique decreases somewhat.

Bob

tullius

What @deluxestogie said.

Only suggestion is try adding some turkish, same amount as the perique, maybe double. Those three really shine in a cig.

Be sure to stretch the perique well out and let it dry down some before shredding.

And of course you should buy a pipe. You're already thinking about it. Taste the leaf without the paper: you may be surprised.

Last edited by a moderator: