Whole Leaf Tobacco

perique making

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Perique simply requires between 30 to 50 psi (pounds per square inch), maintained over a period of 3 to 6 months. The tobacco should be in high case initially, using only non-chlorinated water. The pressure should provide a complete, liquid seal. Don't add any other substances.

Bob

EDIT: I know of no value to heating pressure-cured tobacco.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hello friends. Can perique tobacco be fermented at 125 degrees Fahrenheit like fermentation in a kiln? Can high temperatures combined with high pressures accelerate and improve perique fermentation?
This is a great thread on making your own Perique.

saman_ghaderian

Perique simply requires between 30 to 50 psi (pounds per square inch), maintained over a period of 3 to 6 months. The tobacco should be in high case initially, using only non-chlorinated water. The pressure should provide a complete, liquid seal. Don't add any other substances.

Bob

EDIT: I know of no value to heating pressure-cured tobacco.
Thank you dear Bob

roman1967

Good day everyone
Sorry for my English
I did not really understand, after I clamped the press, the juice came out, but it dries up, do I need to add water to limit the access of oxygen, or just wait 3 months
And also, mold appears on top, is this normal?, Or do you need to do something with it

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Grape pomace is good. Often, Perique will acquire a barnyard aroma for a few weeks. During that time, E. coli bacteria are fighting against the Pichia anomala yeast for dominance, with a good, liquid seal and pressure (anaerobic conditions), the Pichia anomala will win the competition, and produce the familiar Perique aroma.

Bob

roman1967

Grape pomace is good. Often, Perique will acquire a barnyard aroma for a few weeks. During that time, E. coli bacteria are fighting against the Pichia anomala yeast for dominance, with a good, liquid seal and pressure (anaerobic conditions), the Pichia anomala will win the competition, and produce the familiar Perique aroma.

Bob
I left one sheet, after drying it smells like ammonia, I think that little time has passed, I will wait, and I will not open the press anymore

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I open the Perique press, I remove all the leaves, carefully spread them out on a surface, then repack them, adding additional moisture if needed. Traditionally, this is done after the first few weeks, then two or three additional times during the following 3 to 6 months of pressure processing. Each time the leaf is exposed to air, the color of the tobacco darkens, as the exposure to air oxidizes nicotine. I believe that several exposures to air affects the end color, but not the end aroma or smoking quality.

Bob

roman1967

I open the Perique press, I remove all the leaves, carefully spread them out on a surface, then repack them, adding additional moisture if needed. Traditionally, this is done after the first few weeks, then two or three additional times during the following 3 to 6 months of pressure processing. Each time the leaf is exposed to air, the color of the tobacco darkens, as the exposure to air oxidizes nicotine. I believe that several exposures to air affects the end color, but not the end aroma or smoking quality.

Bob
Yes, thanks, I understood about oxidation, I already read this today in the old topic

roman1967

Good afternoon
The question is, if the perique is made from Virginia, the PH will rise ???

roman1967

Yes. The yeast, Pichia anomala, alters the pH.

Bob
It is perfectly !
I have several Virginias grown in different countries, they are all a little sour, they have different strengths and different sugar content.

1. Virginia France, Strips form, nicotine 1.19%, sugar 21.54%.
2. Virginia Croatia, Strips form, nicotine 1.74%, sugar 19.38%.
3. Virginia Italy, Strips Form, Nicotine 2.31%, Sugar 20.75%.
4. Virginia Zimbabwe, Strips Form, Nicotine 2.75%, Sugar 20.13%.
5. Virginia Mozambique, Strips Form, Nicotine 3.62%, Sugar 9.18%.

Which one in your opinion from the list is better to ferment like perique ???

roman1967

Do you think that the amount of sugar does not affect or worsen the result in any way