Whole Leaf Tobacco

Perique technique on cigarette tobacco?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have made different batches of Perique with a number of various classes of tobacco (burley, an Oriental, Bolivia Criollo Black, and others that I can't recall right now). All of it makes good Perique. The stronger the tobacco that goes in, the stronger the Perique comes out. I have not used a flue-cure variety. I would imagine that it also would work well.

Bob

greenmonster714

LOL! No habla espanol.
Lol. Its not Spanish I believe it is French. Anyways, since being here at FTT I've found this tool very helpful since we have such a large international membership. It is also helpful when your searching for seed or information. Bob suggested this to me awhile back and it has been very helpful.

https://translate.google.com/

burge

Mark Ryan has a new tobacco out called raccoons delight where he uses Virginia in a perique press.

MichaelSanders

Burge, thanks. Ive been pondering the idea of the perique technique for awhile now. Im interested in using japan 8, since its supposed to have a licorice flavor or aroma. I'd love feedback on japan 8 perique.

Planter

I wish I could give you that feedback, but I went through my jars to realize that Japan-8 is quite the only thing I have not periqued... I know from Prilep and Izmir that at least the Orientals keep some of their peculiar aroma when processed this way. Japan-8, despite looking somewhat like a dark air cured, can have a lot of sugar, so in my experience, it won't produce a very alkaline Perique (which has to be considered when blending with Virginia, for example). But I'm quite sure it will smoke well on its own.