Whole Leaf Tobacco

Peru won't smolder

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Oh dear. This sounds too familiar. My verdict is...Delaware humidity. Seriously, I found my WLT Peru seco and ligero to burn quite well. The answer (other than moving to a less cigar-hostile climate) is to blend with something you identify as better burning.

It is true that different batches and different varieties exhibit differences in how hygroscopic they are. But if the smoking environment is too humid, a cigar will light, then just kind of peter out.

Bob

webmost

Oh dear. This sounds too familiar. My verdict is...Delaware humidity. Seriously, I found my WLT Peru seco and ligero to burn quite well. The answer (other than moving to a less cigar-hostile climate) is to blend with something you identify as better burning.

It is true that different batches and different varieties exhibit differences in how hygroscopic they are. But if the smoking environment is too humid, a cigar will light, then just kind of peter out.

Bob

It's Winter. Def not too humid. Nothing else is having this prob. We're at 28% in this room.

Of course I have tried blending it with other stuff.

FrostD

Good info @webmost ! I just rolled up some of the same leaf yesterday. A couple things I just thought:

1. Are you smoking them fresh rolled?

2. What other types of leaves have you tried “throwing in the sauce” pan in addition to the Peru Seco?

3. How much leaf are you rolling in 1? Both sides of leaf or 1 side at a time? (Im assuming your rolling “entubado”)

4. Perhaps stack on top of another type of leaf, perhaps drier and roll together entubado?

webmost

Good info @webmost ! I just rolled up some of the same leaf yesterday. A couple things I just thought:

1. Are you smoking them fresh rolled?

2. What other types of leaves have you tried “throwing in the sauce” pan in addition to the Peru Seco?

3. How much leaf are you rolling in 1? Both sides of leaf or 1 side at a time? (Im assuming your rolling “entubado”)

4. Perhaps stack on top of another type of leaf, perhaps drier and roll together entubado?
1) ROTT as always, cause I've been working toward a blend

2) T-13 viso, Pelo de Oro viso, Ecuadorian viso, Criollo viso, & I dunno what (not all the same time, of course; but at diff times)

3) I don't get this Q. Course I use bode sides.

4) I don't think this Peru is overly damp.

FrostD

1) ROTT as always, cause I've been working toward a blend

2) T-13 viso, Pelo de Oro viso, Ecuadorian viso, Criollo viso, & I dunno what (not all the same time, of course; but at diff times)

3) I don't get this Q. Course I use bode sides.

4) I don't think this Peru is overly damp.
1. Perhaps letting it sit a day or two may help? (Dry box)

2. I think any of those fillers would definitely help with combustion myself.

3. What I mean with this question, which I believe you answered. With 1 whole leaf, using both sides or just 1 side (1/2 a whole leaf). You stated you use the whole leaf. Have you tried 1/2 of a whole leaf to compare?

4. Your more of an expert on casing than me and don’t feel like I could provide any more info on this one, that you could school me on.

With my “Young Buck” of rolling knowledge, this topic intrigues me. I’m hoping to smoke one this weekend that I rolled up with the Peru Seco, T-13, and Peru Ligero fillers. If interested, I can let you know if I experience anything similar.

PressuredLeaf

Hi nowoyork, welcome to the forum!

I would strongly discourage the use of saltpeter (potassium nitrate). Incomplete combustion of nitrogenous compounds in the presence of nitrates will produce copious amounts of N-nitrosamines , which are suspected carcinogens.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Has this still been an issue for anyone?
This?

If you are asking about its burn, I love the Peru ligero. It burns well. Nearly every leaf has provided me with a half-leaf to use as a binder (or even a wrapper, if I feel courageous that day). As with nearly all tobacco leaf, if the ambient humidity is persistently high, its burn rate slows.

Bob

willgodwin

This Peruvian seco from WLT is very tasty stuff, but I just cannot get it to burn worth a darn.
You think there might be a mojo which would make it more flammable?

Or any other solution?
I had similar issues. used a full butane lighter on a few cigars ranging from one straight from a week in the dry box, one a month in a 62% humidor and one 2 months in a 65% humidor. Some others burned perfect. I kept at it because they were delicious! but burn issues some did have...