Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pics of your sticks!!

FrostD

I think its like the Los Rios but more of it. high quality. I just got it. just got that San Andres, looks really good. good time to buy.
I agree. Those look superb! I keep eyeing up the Habano ‘99, Criollo ‘98, and those gorgeous Brazilian Connecticut’s from 2012 & 2013 for an actual Connecticut wrapper to have as an option. I’ll need to wait a week or two. Still need to crack open the last order. Been a little busy with work and trying to get a newer vehicle. Just like to have my ducks in a row when I can.(y)(y)

Biglizard1

This blend is from @webmost, from the variety that he gifted me. This pair of Robustos have 2 leaves of Piloto Cubano Seco, one Dominican Criollo Ligero, CT Binder, Nicaraguan wrapper.

I love this wrapper, I finally got the case right. And it is so easy to work with when its correct.

20210108_210500.jpg

Last edited:

MarcL

55X5.5

from the center. ASP/Black/Peru ligeros and Peru seco fillers. CV Pa seco and CV Pa binders.

FrostD

D4C384CB-742C-4EA3-896D-98C1B0EB5761.jpeg37555DF6-D32F-4278-A572-1400E39B1B9E.jpeg9D47D13D-2F80-4BFA-AED3-68AC29761F6B.jpeg
It’s been a little busy here. Cracked open the Terroso Profundo Kit.
The Habano 2000 wrapper, looks & smells fantastic. The elasticity is top notch (in my newbie/humble opinion. I need to get a little better at casing for sure.
CV PA Binder- very earthy (almost manure) type smell. Very easy to work with. Very intrigued on how the flavors will merry together with this binder.
Used 4 whole (various) leaves of the filler provided and molded them up last night, with a few rotations to help get more of a rounded cap area.
Started casing the wrapper about 24 hours ago with a few sprays of distilled water in a plastic grocery bag, with an additional ziplock with a piece of paper towel soaked in distilled water. Added the ziplock with paper towel (slight opening in ziplock) to try to help increase the humidity. Very dry ambient temps here still.

Current little mold doing the trick, but need to eye up something with 5-10 slots eventually. Out of curiosity does anyone know how often WLT gets an update to their molds inventory? I’ve noticed a 60 ring gauge (wooden available). Then for plastic molds a few less than 40 ring gauge then we jump up to 52+ Ring gauge. If it’s best to call and find out the most up to date inventory, I can definitely do that. Im really in no rush and am enjoying the little mold and seeing how I do without a mold!

MarcL

View attachment 34852View attachment 34853View attachment 34854
It’s been a little busy here. Cracked open the Terroso Profundo Kit.
The Habano 2000 wrapper, looks & smells fantastic. The elasticity is top notch (in my newbie/humble opinion. I need to get a little better at casing for sure.
CV PA Binder- very earthy (almost manure) type smell. Very easy to work with. Very intrigued on how the flavors will merry together with this binder.
Used 4 whole (various) leaves of the filler provided and molded them up last night, with a few rotations to help get more of a rounded cap area.
Started casing the wrapper about 24 hours ago with a few sprays of distilled water in a plastic grocery bag, with an additional ziplock with a piece of paper towel soaked in distilled water. Added the ziplock with paper towel (slight opening in ziplock) to try to help increase the humidity. Very dry ambient temps here still.

Current little mold doing the trick, but need to eye up something with 5-10 slots eventually. Out of curiosity does anyone know how often WLT gets an update to their molds inventory? I’ve noticed a 60 ring gauge (wooden available). Then for plastic molds a few less than 40 ring gauge then we jump up to 52+ Ring gauge. If it’s best to call and find out the most up to date inventory, I can definitely do that. Im really in no rush and am enjoying the little mold and seeing how I do without a mold!
It seems that wrapper wasn't able to absorb enough water. Is there air in that casing chamber?

What molds do you want?

FrostD

It seems that wrapper wasn't able to absorb enough water. Is there air in that casing chamber?

What molds do you want?
Hey @MarcL!
I use plastic grocery bags for casing. Zip lock open with distill water soaked paper towel in it. Then spritz the inside of the bag. I don’t close the grocery bag all the way, I leave some of an opening to allow air movement. However, while trying to do this over night, I’ve noticed the last 3 nights that I’ll wake up to dry leaf or fairly soaked in spots. I’m trying to keep an eye on it. I struggle with trying to keep an ambient RH in my apartment to even get to 30% RH. So, I have a pretty good feeling that here is more moisture leaving the plastic grocery bag than being absorbed into the leaf. It’s been interesting trying to prep binder & wrapper in the right case. No giving up though! Each time I learn and adjust.

As far as molds, I’m not that picky. I like the robusto or Corona sizes length ~4”-6”, RNG 45- 50 ish. I’ve been tossing around in the noggin the molds available on WLT. Length is an easy fix. I can just use a guillotine cutter to make whatever length I want as long as it’s smaller than the mold size. Ring gauge... I’m open to any tricks if I need to get a larger ring gauge on getting the ring gauge down. Lastly, I’ve been pondering on a torpedo mold to use to help get a rounded cap area, but not go “full torpedo”.

FrostD

4F400BC3-8E44-4DC2-9CAD-9E4C7E09DDC4.jpeg
#37 & #38 are from yesterday. A couple more today. 1 with a slight variation of filler from #37 & #38. The small unbanded is Habano 2000 wrapper & CV PA Binder. However, added scrap filler. First time trying to apply the binder and wrapper within a few hours of each other.

FrostD