Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pics of your sticks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tullius

So...I have had to kick production into high gear. I rolled some rough dolls and am working in building up my supplies. I have pretty much went away from molds and just use paper anymore for ease of production....it turns out fine cigars for my needs.

The chaveta on the left is the one I purchased from WLT when I started. The other day we were cleaning out our garage and my wife picked up my Dad/Grandfather's old handsaw blade and started to throw it out. I stopped her and explained that was for a project....of course she reminded me that I have had it for 3 years for a project. So I decided to cut a chaveta out of the portion where the nail holes was....only having a hand grinder it was a challenge. I got it cut and beveled it by hand and it has turned out to be a nice tool. It's in the right...

Blend is:
1 x 2014 Nicaraguan Seco
1 x nic habano viso
1 x nic habano ligero
Vuelte Abajo Binder
Soon to be wrapped with Camaroon

View attachment 32375
If you decide to get rid of your beautiful molds, let me know. I'm hoping you don't.

But, if you do, they will not gather dust here.

Chacocii

So...I have had to kick production into high gear. I rolled some rough dolls and am working in building up my supplies. I have pretty much went away from molds and just use paper anymore for ease of production....it turns out fine cigars for my needs.

The chaveta on the left is the one I purchased from WLT when I started. The other day we were cleaning out our garage and my wife picked up my Dad/Grandfather's old handsaw blade and started to throw it out. I stopped her and explained that was for a project....of course she reminded me that I have had it for 3 years for a project. So I decided to cut a chaveta out of the portion where the nail holes was....only having a hand grinder it was a challenge. I got it cut and beveled it by hand and it has turned out to be a nice tool. It's in the right...

Blend is:
1 x 2014 Nicaraguan Seco
1 x nic habano viso
1 x nic habano ligero
Vuelte Abajo Binder
Soon to be wrapped with Camaroon

View attachment 32375
Love me some forged in fire (y)

MarcL

from the center; cv black, pa ligero/viso, nic 14 and 15 fillers va binder. olor wrapper.

https://i.imgur.com/OwIzakD.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
This began as one of my typically low art, fat cigars. I used 5 overlain wrapper/binder scraps as the binder, which led to inadequate compression. My Cameroon wrapper turned out to be overly delicate. The result was a cigar that looked okay, but was not going to be a tight enough draw.

Garden20200813_5361_impromptuCigarPress_600.jpg

With a wooden clothespin at its unglued head, I laid the cigar onto the counter, placed the cutting board on top of it, then propped the end of the board nearest the fat cigar foot with anything nearby that would be the right height. I then added a couple of pounds of weight, and left it for 15 minutes.

Garden20200813_5362_cigar_impromptuCigarPress_600.jpg

This won't hold its shape for too long. The big difference is that the cigar is more firm, and the draw tighter, for a more comfortable smoke.

Yes. Definitely crude.

Bob

EDIT: Theory
The surface area of a given perimeter is maximal for a circle. A square, or any rectangle with the same perimeter allows less surface area (cigar cross-section). As the rectangle becomes longer and narrower, the surface area eventually falls to zero. So a slight flattening of a circular cigar forces the same quantity of filler to fit into a tighter cross-section.

jclif43

This began as one of my typically low art, fat cigars. I used 5 overlain wrapper/binder scraps as the binder, which led to inadequate compression. My Cameroon wrapper turned out to be overly delicate. The result was a cigar that looked okay, but was not going to be a tight enough draw.

Garden20200813_5361_impromptuCigarPress_600.jpg

With a wooden clothespin at its unglued head, I laid the cigar onto the counter, placed the cutting board on top of it, then propped the end of the board nearest the fat cigar foot with anything nearby that would be the right height. I then added a couple of pounds of weight, and left it for 15 minutes.

Garden20200813_5362_cigar_impromptuCigarPress_600.jpg

This won't hold its shape for too long. The big difference is that the cigar is more firm, and the draw tighter, for a more comfortable smoke.

Yes. Definitely crude.

Bob

EDIT: Theory
The surface area of a given perimeter is maximal for a circle. A square, or any rectangle with the same perimeter allows less surface area (cigar cross-section). As the rectangle becomes longer and narrower, the surface area eventually falls to zero. So a slight flattening of a circular cigar forces the same quantity of filler to fit into a tighter cross-section.
The DS box press!

webmost

a quickie test gar for the morning:
TestGar_20200816.jpg

Lookin for a stash-worthy blend

The core is 1 Nic hab ligero
surrounded by Don's fine T-13 viso
bound in WLT Dom binder
wrapped in FXSS CT leaves formerly rejected for plumpfectos because of flaws

we'll soon know how tastily it smolders

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20200816_5370_cigar_EMSCameroon_700.jpg

This Cameroon wrapper (from WLT) was still tied in hands using striped string, common with wholesaler samples. It's label said simply "Cameroon Wrapper". The leaf is quite large, supple, thin and stretchy. That, together with its medium-light EMS coloration immediately suggested to me that it was grown in Ecuador. WLT currently lists a Cameroon Wrapper from Ecuador, the photos of which are similar to the leaf I received. So I'm not certain that they are the same offering of leaf, but suspect that they are.

My wrapping was a tad lax toward the foot, so the burn is uneven down there, but improved toward the head. Lovely wrapper to work with, and a smooth, mild taste.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.