Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pics of your sticks!! 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowblithe

Hi all,
my sticks look wrinkled if compared with commercial cigars (my ones are the 2 leftmost).
I also see the work of many members that are shiny, oily and smooth (@MarcL's work is impressive to me).
Is there any point that is to study/practice better between:
. smoother bunch (I use molds with a good pressure)
- wrapper case (I use them after one night in a bag with light fog of water inside)
- Stretching the wrapper ( I think I stretch it enough ...)
- dry the sticks slowly (???)
- just keep on doing it again and again and ....?

Thanks for any hint

View attachment 35314
Keeping in mind that I am a relative novice at this, I get what you mean. As @deluxestogie said, a higher case will will help a lot, but in addition to that I would emphasize the actual technique of stretching the wrapper as you roll. It is tricky, but the wrapper has to be stretched both perpendicular and parallel to the roll, ie, it must be stretched in two dimensions. I'm still not very consistent at it but if you can manage to make the wrapper smooth on the board just ahead of where you are rolling it will turn out smoother. As @jclif43 said @waikikigun's videos are highly instructive: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKQPvIbslAFFDYDGi-EivRQ Your hands will figure it out.
That said, and what I tell myself when I turn out a stick more homely than I meant, is that if it burns well and tastes good its still a win over gambling with the commercial cigars.

silksow

My 1st copycat blend, going for the 1st stick that made me fall in love with cigars - a humble yet sexy Crowned Heads Mason Dixon North 2015, of which I managed to find a box at a B&M recently giving me the chance to compare back-to-back. I daresay even with the aging on the real thing, I actually prefer mine ROTT :) Thanks to @Knucklehead for the filler from his Padron clone!

"Mason Dixon North 2015 Clone"
1 Nicaraguan Habano Seco
1.5 Nicaraguan Habano Viso
0.5 Nicaraguan Habano Ligero
Criollo 98 Wrapper binder
Ecuador Maduro wrapper

IMG_20210220_171206.jpg

MarcL

Hi all,
my sticks look wrinkled if compared with commercial cigars (my ones are the 2 leftmost).
I also see the work of many members that are shiny, oily and smooth (@MarcL's work is impressive to me).
Is there any point that is to study/practice better between:
I get made fun of with my photo trickery some but, what Bob said about flat and reflection. Know I may push exposure as well as use a flash. You will get more sheen out of that sun grown then that shade wrapper.
. smoother bunch (I use molds with a good pressure)
Your bunch looks smooth but, yes let it dry in the mold. If you were to put that 107 in 80 RH it will become lumpy and bumpy.
- wrapper case (I use them after one night in a bag with light fog of water inside)
I hear you say "them ... in a bag" which works but, know that the amount of absorption it takes will vary in time in leaf thicknesses.
- Stretching the wrapper ( I think I stretch it enough ...)
Alike the wrapper case, look forward to recognize a wrappers stretch abilities. There is a limit. I will save that limit to when its applied to the doll. I found what I call hardening or, loss of memory. So I'm not testing that limit until it goes on the doll for that reason. In the winter, I turn the heat off while I wrap. My board and hands are not dry. Both your sticks show leaf drying as you got towards the head area. I will touch the leaf with the damped towel used to keep board and hands moist if need be though, glue comes into play at this point also.
- dry the sticks slowly (???)
For sure but, again let it dry some in the mold under pressure first.
- just keep on doing it again and again and ....?
Absolutely. Make mistakes so you learn how not to do them. Build the relationship with the leaf.

mbatini

I get made fun of with my photo trickery some but, what Bob said about flat and reflection. Know I may push exposure as well as use a flash. You will get more sheen out of that sun grown then that shade wrapper.

Your bunch looks smooth but, yes let it dry in the mold. If you were to put that 107 in 80 RH it will become lumpy and bumpy.

I hear you say "them ... in a bag" which works but, know that the amount of absorption it takes will vary in time in leaf thicknesses.

Alike the wrapper case, look forward to recognize a wrappers stretch abilities. There is a limit. I will save that limit to when its applied to the doll. I found what I call hardening or, loss of memory. So I'm not testing that limit until it goes on the doll for that reason. In the winter, I turn the heat off while I wrap. My board and hands are not dry. Both your sticks show leaf drying as you got towards the head area. I will touch the leaf with the damped towel used to keep board and hands moist if need be though, glue comes into play at this point also.

For sure but, again let it dry some in the mold under pressure first.

Absolutely. Make mistakes so you learn how not to do them. Build the relationship with the leaf.
Hi @MarcL, thanks.
----- Absolutely. Make mistakes so you learn how not to do them. Build the relationship with the leaf.---- This means another ton of shipping costs from USA while waiting on growing my own :) :) :) I'm wondering if there is not a business oppty here in this OLD continent.

Mauro

FrostD

Some scrap shorties on the left for a buddy from yesterday’s session. 12 on the right are from this morning’s coffee, news & rolling session. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• 97B147DF-8249-4085-8B06-87C043ACCF9D.jpeg
    97B147DF-8249-4085-8B06-87C043ACCF9D.jpeg
    611.6 KB · Views: 24

MarcL

Hi @MarcL, thanks.
----- Absolutely. Make mistakes so you learn how not to do them. Build the relationship with the leaf.---- This means another ton of shipping costs from USA while waiting on growing my own :) :) :) I'm wondering if there is not a business oppty here in this OLD continent.

Mauro
I think there is a https://wholeleaftobacco.com/ affiliate on your continent.

Biglizard1

Tonight's efforts.
Corojo ligero
Criollo seco
Sumatra wrapper

These wrappers were made from select leaves classed as binder. @webmost provided these to me. And after selecting and sorting i pulled about 5 leaves from the batch and prepped them as wrappers. They are nice and slightly peppery and turn out a nice wrapper.
Thanks again Robert for the gift and experience with a wide variety.

I now have an expanded palate and ingredient knowledge. I will pay it forward.

20210222_182229.jpg20210222_193658.jpg

FrostD

A little more practice each day! That Ecuadorian Los Rios wrapper is crazy! Unless, perhaps I am. When wrapping it just felt a little more “stickier” than others. Perhaps, it was left over glue on my fingers. Nice balance on many points for a leaf!

Attachments

• E5F3DB65-79BD-4C84-86E9-55BC065CEA0B.jpeg
    E5F3DB65-79BD-4C84-86E9-55BC065CEA0B.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 24

FrostD

Keeping the hands busy today in between calls for work. Some not the prettiest, but always getting better and better!

Entire picture was wrapped in 5 whole total leaves of the WLT Dominican Olor wrapper. Quite a fun wrapper to use! Very large leaf with amazing color. Super easy to work with as well. Cased them overnight in a grocery bag. Made a biggg difference on this wrapper.

Paper clipped the hand rolls with no binder and all scrap filler. For a buddy who doesn’t care about the looks. Love the paper clips! @deluxestogie

Attachments

• 2D7376B0-49B9-44DF-BF42-9D9CB39477F6.jpeg
    2D7376B0-49B9-44DF-BF42-9D9CB39477F6.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 30

Danny M

My first and second rolls. The first one I put the wrapper on inside out but it smoked the same :D. The second one looks a little better. They’re some hogs. 6.5 to 7 x 70’s. I cheated a bit by using a mat but I made up for it by using no glueo_O

Attachments

• E66993DD-F54A-4C60-BCFE-C65BC9CE34E0.jpeg
    E66993DD-F54A-4C60-BCFE-C65BC9CE34E0.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 2D44916C-FFF2-489B-B463-75A75BEBC5D7.jpeg
    2D44916C-FFF2-489B-B463-75A75BEBC5D7.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 22
  • FA097798-2B4F-433A-8066-4AC436CFD394.jpeg
    FA097798-2B4F-433A-8066-4AC436CFD394.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 20

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My first and second rolls. The first one I put the wrapper on inside out but it smoked the same :D. The second one looks a little better. They’re some hogs. 6.5 to 7 x 70’s. I cheated a bit by using a mat but I made up for it by using no glueo_O

Those firsts look better than my last rolls. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.