Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pipe gurus in packing method...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sansonPR

hi all,

Does a wrong method of packing a pipe can make that you have a bad smoking experience with a pipe? does bad packing influence in the flavor of bacca?? what method do you use for packing?? go ahead tell us your experience!!! :confused:

Matty

I'm sure everyone packs a pipe differently and yes, if it's packed wrong I don't like it and will usually start over.

Smokin Harley

hi all,

Does a wrong method of packing a pipe can make that you have a bad smoking experience with a pipe? does bad packing influence in the flavor of bacca?? what method do you use for packing?? go ahead tell us your experience!!! :confused:
One day a couple weeks ago I was looking about the same subject and I found a short youtube video of a guy with a thick Irish accent , worked for some pipe manufacturing company and his method to pack a pipe I just had to try and it smoked perfectly... put some pipe tobacco in the palm of your hand ,cup your hand slightly , turn the bowl of your pipe over it and swirl it around in your cupped hand. it will just about fill itself and the swirl that forms naturally in the middle of the pipe bowl leaves the bowl packed just right. Try it. If I find the site and video again ,I'll post it.

DGBAMA

I am admittedly nieve in pipe smoking but my method is simple and works for me....

Fill, tamp, draw.... Repeat until the desired draw is achieved and light it up.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
There are many methods. Find one that works for you. Mark Twain claimed he was so lazy that he would just drop his pipe into a bag of tobacco and then pull it back out. It would be filled with tobacco.
Myself, I fill my bowl to the top then pack it down to about half its height, then fill to the top again and lightly pack. Works perfect.

LewZephyr

Yeah I usually go the frank method that Sid references with the videos.
Works pretty good for me.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
This leads to the story of the elderly Scotsman who gave up smoking his pipe.

Friends asked him "Why?"

"Well," he said, "when I fill my pipe with my own tobacco, it's so loose it willnae burn. And when I smoke someone else's tobacco, it's packed so tight I canna draw it."

jojjas

An old saying here in sweden ,
" first fill your pipe with a childs hand , then with a womans hand , and last with a mans hand "
then you should have a perfect filled pipe
I think it´s good starting point when filling the pipe

Sid.Stavros

It's useful i think the first part of tobacco to fall into the chamber by slightly "rubbing" move from your fingers.This way falls a little bit "loose" in the bowl,no need to push because you may clogged the hole.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I just put some loose tobacco in the pipe and then lightly compress it with my finger. I'll do this two or three times until the bowl is full and medium tight. Then I'll light it and take a drag or two and let it go out, then I tamp it down lightly with a tamper tool (8mm Mauser cartridge casing) after that initial burn off. After relighting, it should just take an occasional sip of the pipe to keep it going. I don't use cased tobacco or aromatics, just straight tobacco blends and I have it in low medium case.
If I'm just smoking a piece straight off the leaf, I tear a hunk off the leaf and wad it up, stuff it in the pipe as a wad and start smoking. I try to sample all the varieties by themselves in the pipe to see what they might bring to a blend, even cigar varieties.

Status
Not open for further replies.