Whole Leaf Tobacco

Plug experiments

Jbg

Experiment no.1....approximately equal parts dark fire, fronto, and burley. Dried out in tinfoil pans on top of woodstove til crispy, coarsely crumble and brought in to high case with a mixture of 2T Stillhouse Spirits peach tea whiskey (really just a peach liqueur, bright, clean peach flavor, not gummy candy like) 1T Evan williams, 2T dihydrogen monoxide, 1T glycerin.

Dried til crispy again on said woodstove and again sprayed with before mentioned mixture.

Mixed thoroughly and put in a quart ziplock for 24hrs to equalize case.

Put into vacuum bag and vac'd and sealed, then pressed under a 1/4" steel plate and 75lb anvil.

Gonna give it a couple of days or more and try it.

Jbg

24hr update, checked on the progress this evening, something is happening, a tiny bit of moisture has been squished out the tobacco and is spread across the inside of the vac bag, so replaced the plate and anvil and added another chunk of steel that weighs 55lbs on top, up to 130+lbs on a 4" square plug thats now less than 1/2" thick. A little over 8psi.

Jbg

That metal can is the first I’ve seen for a whisky “bottle”. I remember seeing steel beer cans in trash piles when I was young, before aluminum cans.
Their the only ones I have seen that don't use a bottle of some form. The looks on people's faces are priceless when you tell them that your likker comes out of a paint thinner can.

Jbg

Took the weight off after 48hrs due cold and bad weather (it was outside) but left in vac bag. It'll be a while before I can do anything else with it.

Jbg

14 days in and opened it. Was under weight for 48hrs then left in vac bag for the duration near the wood stove.

First impressions were not good WAY, WAY too much fire cured and way too dry, and not much flavor.

Next time I'll use dark air and burley and case it way heavier and add a little salt.

Jbg

Actually I sliced the plug probably too big (approximately 1/4") shreds and its drying and I'm gonna try it in my pipe, it was completely unfit for chewin.

Jbg

plug experiment #2 100% burley chew made with apple juice concentrate, sorghum molasses, and salt cooked down to a syrup and mixed with tobacco. got the syrup too thick and was too sweet(pretty much tobacco flavored apple candy sweet) so put in a ziploc bag and added a shot of Southern Comfort and let marinate for a few days, then loaded it into a pasta press and mashed it. once again not good, as its VERY easy to squeeze the sauce out, left under light pressure for a day or two and actually turned out decent flavor wise.

Experiment #3 approx. a 70/30 dark air, burley mix. The dark air came from WLT and upon opening smelled like kinda like Levi Garret/Southern Pride(My personal favorite). Stripped and tore into pieces then dried to almost crispy(burley was already crispy) then brought into med.-high case by spritzing with Evan Williams. Then I loaded into the pasta press and pressed tightening the screw every time i walked by for 24-36hrs. Removed from press and put back in on its edge and mashed it down some to loosen the plug up. Completely deconstructed the plug and allowed to dry again. Brought back in med.-high case with homemade coffee liqueur ( vodka based unlike kahlua which is rum based) and pressing right now.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Kahlua is made with plain vodka, coffee and vanilla. I made a dead ringer for it about 50 years ago.

Photos of your process and products would be nice.

Bob

EDIT: All the current ingredient lists for Kahlua say it's rum. Maybe it was always rum, and why I always liked my own better. Ouch! I've been wrong about it for a half century!

Last edited:

Jbg

Kahlua is made with plain vodka, coffee and vanilla. I made a dead ringer for it about 50 years ago.

Photos of your process and products would be nice.

Bob

EDIT: All the current ingredient lists for Kahlua say it's rum. Maybe it was always rum, and why I always liked my own better. Ouch! I've been wrong about it for a half century!
I'll see bout gettin some pics. The only equipment is a bog standard, cheap pasta press off of amazon.
Yes, Kahlua was always made with rum, and I also like a vodka based coffee liqueur better, the rum gives it a nutty flavor that seems out of place to me.

Yultanman

Actually I sliced the plug probably too big (approximately 1/4") shreds and its drying and I'm gonna try it in my pipe, it was completely unfit for chewin.
im no chemist but if youve added salt, i dont think it should be smoked. I also could be completely wrong