Whole Leaf Tobacco

Plynx's Grow Blog VA Gold 2018/19

Plynx

First year growing tobacco. Started Virginia Gold Seeds in this miniature greenhouse setup I bought for $9.00 at my local hardware store (Bunnings). I originally sowed half the seeds I bought and the seedlings you see in the picture are what germinated out of that, they are approximately 2 weeks old and I transplanted them over to the 12 cell seed tray (a 24 seed tray which came with the mini greenhouse that i cut in half) 3 days ago. I just sowed the other half of the seeds 3 days ago in the two 6 cell trays.

The reason I only sowed half my seeds at a time was just to make sure that they would germinate and it would work however it was not a good way to do it at all and even writing this now I am confusing myself as to why I did it this way.
What I should have done is just sown my seeds in the original 24 cell tray not cut in half and thinned out to 1 seedling per cell.
Although after reading through the FAQs and a few other posts I think next year what I am going to do is germinate seeds on a moist paper towel and transfer the successfully germinated seeds to there own cell. That way I feel like I am not wasting successful seeds by thinning them out of cells and it seems a lot easier then transplanting seedlings.

I feel like this post is rather confusing so I aim to do the rest of my grow a bit more methodical.

Attachments

JennyLeez

Hi,

I just threw my seeds into dishes. Covered with soil and watered them. From there I transferred the faster growing ones to vegie Punnets.
Now I have 3 trays of plants that are my reserves or set for the compost as I have no where to put them. Trashing them is going to be excruciatingly painful :)

Good luck with your babies :)

Plynx

Plants are going good! All have been transplanted to foam cups and the larger plants into paper ice cream cups i had laying around. Theres a couple late germinating seeds still in the little greenhouse that ill grow as well. Ive got 27 plants in total so that should a good first grow.

Attachments

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If your trays hold water, then I would suggest poking a hole or two in the bottom of each cup, and watering only from the bottom (into the tray), and only when the soil seems less than moist to a fingertip.

Bob

Plynx

If your trays hold water, then I would suggest poking a hole or two in the bottom of each cup, and watering only from the bottom (into the tray), and only when the soil seems less than moist to a fingertip.

Bob
I heated up a screwdriver over a candle and melted a hole into the centre of each foam cup and bored about 5 holes with a small drill bit into the bottom of the paper cups before i transplanted. The black trays dont hold water so i water from the top with just a low pressure and not over the leaves. The seedlings in the green mini greenhouse tray i bottom water. Thanks for the tips though!

Plynx

One plant in the bottom right of the 2nd photo, I damaged the roots while transplanting and the leaves did die off but there is new growth so hopefully it will fix itself and not be too stunted.

Levi Gross

One plant in the bottom right of the 2nd photo, I damaged the roots while transplanting and the leaves did die off but there is new growth so hopefully it will fix itself and not be too stunted.
As long as the growth tip is not damaged and showing signs of life all should be well with the seedling tobacco is a very resilient plant.

Plynx

Plants have been in the ground for approximately 4 weeks and are looking good! I have just gotten home from a holiday and had to rush to transplant them before I left as my holiday was not planned, not all my seedlings were planted out and I still have a few left in the foam cups that I need to find space for. There are 14 plants in this bed, initially I planted 10 plants in 2 rows 3 feet apart but then i planted 4 more down the middle to make a staggered pattern, and now I have realised just how much space tobacco takes up!
I got back from my holiday to find the garden bed over run with weeds and I have just finished weeding and fertilizing each plant with a side dressing of very well composted alpaca manure (which i got for free). Now I need to find a good amount of mulch to fill in the bed before the weeds come back, as well as some more space to plant out the rest of my plants.

Attachments

Plynx

Its been about 6 weeks that my plants have been in the ground. Most are about 1m tall though there are some smaller ones. However my plants are beginning to show signs of flowering and I believe this is pretty early and I am not sure what to do. Do I let them continue or pluck of these flower stalks as they show up. Also im not sure of the cause, if it could be weather or a nutrient deficiency. I have tried to do a bit of research but most results were from studies a bit complicated for me. Can anyone help me out?

Attachments

Plynx

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That 46 year old article is interesting, but essentially a shrug of the Extension shoulders. The one useful statement is this, "Plants with lower leaf numbers tend to compensate by producing larger leaves."

We've debated the matter in the past, and couldn't quite decide whether to blame the light period, the sun, the moon or the zodiac.

So, top them when the time comes, then hope for the elusive compensation of larger leaves.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The plant that is front and center in the photo could be stalk-harvested, since I'm seeing signs of leaf maturity all the way to the top. If you plan to air-cure or sun-cure your leaf, the choice of leaf priming (picking individual leaves and stringing them) vs. stalk-harvesting (cut the stalk just above ground, and hang the whole plant to cure) depends on your conditions of humidity. If you will be mostly very humid over the next month or two, then priming and stringing is the way to cure it with the least risk of mold. If you will be too dry over the next month or two, then the presence of the stalk helps prevent the leaves flash-drying green.

Bob

Plynx

I have already picked a few hands of bottom leaves that had started yellowing, and the average humidity for march here is about 70% so I think priming is the best way to go. Ill start now!