Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Polish G120, other shredders and gadgets

Status
Not open for further replies.

burge

I have had my Powermatic since 2015. Can't get it to stay continuously on but it still shreds. I am not mechanically inclined so do not wat to take it apart could simply be something in the contact switch so in 4 years may have gone through 10 pounds a year. In order to get to work I have to touch the back button gently.

larryccf

German dogs that i've had have always been the smartest dogs i've ever seen. Had a drathaar named Charlie, that we were afraid to leave a book laying around, for fear he'd read it and be smarter than us. He actually learned the "whoa" command by simply watching me train one of the other dogs and watching Kit. Not sure how the germans do it but they succeed in breeding incredible dogs

Charlie was papered with the german club in canada

skychaser

every hunter will have one dog in his lifetime that he'll compare all others to.
He was a big Black Lab named Lucky. Best damn duck dog ever. He would hunt and retrieve anything. But his true love, and mine, was duck hunting. I still remember that disappointed and shameful look he would give if I missed. lol He's been gone over 20 years now and I still miss him.

larryccf

skychaser - do you get much dust from using steel screen? I assume you're just rubbing bundled leaves across it

it's interesting how a dog and hunter can acclimate / bond with each knowing what the other is going to do before he gives any signal, kind of like that character "Radar" on the old Mash TV series

skychaser

Nope, no dust. It's one of the advantages of using the screen. Everything falls through before it gets crushed too much. I used to just do it by hand, but some got pulverized and some chunks were to big. I have a metal pan that is about 6" x 10" with 1/4" mesh in the bottom. Had it for sifting rocks when hunting for garnets or whatever. One day I decided to see how it would work for tobacco and it worked great. But it was too small to do much at a time.

So I made another much bigger one with a 1" x 4" frame that fits over an 18 gallon tote and covered the bottom with 1/4" hardware cloth. I take bone dry leaf, strip out the main stem over the screen and then gently crush the leaf up, giving the screen a shake now and then so it keeps falling through. I end up with flakes around 1/8" to 1/4" in size. I can do about 1/2 a string of 60 leaves at a time and it takes maybe 6-8 minutes to do a whole string. It takes 20 -22 strings to fill an 18 gallon tote. I toss a lable inside saying what it is and the date and another lable taped to the lid. Then off to the storage room it goes until needed. When we get to the bottom of a tub we usually find maybe 2 cigarettes of powder.

I like to do it all outside on the lawn on a nice sunny day near our compost bin so I can toss all the stems right in, and any leaf that is less than pretty. If I do much inside there is some dust that gets in the air, and bits fall onto the floor making a mess to sweep up. Outside no one cares. Meaning Mrs Sky. And a happy wife equals a happy life.

larryccf

thanks - i'll have to give it a try

and "And a happy wife equals a happy life. " - I know that too well.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Skychaser,
When you get the next opportunity, could you photograph your screen frame and a few steps in the process, then start a new thread on "Making Cigarette Flake"? This is great info, but nobody will ever again locate it in this thread.

It seems like you end up with something similar to the dried flake that Bull Durham used to sell in tiny cloth bags.

Thanks,
Bob

burge

Guillotine style works before I had my shredder I would use leaf scissors they have 5 blades then push It together in a hand rotary cheese grater.

skychaser

When you get the next opportunity, could you photograph your screen frame and a few steps in the process, then start a new thread on "Making Cigarette Flake"? This is great info, but nobody will ever again locate it in this thread.
I will try to do that in the next few days. I have a tub of leaf I stripped off some plants a few days ago waiting to be processed. Spring has FINALLY arrived here and I am busy as a beaver right now with starting flats of tomatoes and peppers.

BarG

Founding Member
I just stretch a tarp out on really flat ground and lay all my leaves out on top and run over with my lawn mower and a mulching blade with a guy holding a bag to catch the discharge. :devilish:

Seriously I love my powermatic shredder and my powermatic roller, although the switch on the shredder suck and I had to modify that. {with an alligater clip temporary] heh heh

Last edited:

burge

how did you do that BarG I would like to get mine working on the continuous on.

dante11

i bought a mach 1-used a couple of times-in march 2019. i have had it for over a year now....i really don't have too many complaints-if i try to shred the tobacco too damp-it clogs up in the blades-but that is my own fault. i shred 6-8 pounds whole leaf each month. (that weight is while it is still whole)......
if i use it for too long-it smells hot...but that is usually after i have run a couple of pounds of prepped leaf thru it.
if i try to rush it,and place a second leaf into it before the first one is done, it doesn't shred as evenly,and it will come out with thicker pieces.
i am relatively new to this-ihavebeen at it for 1.5, or so, years. this is the first electric shredder i have tried, and i feel like i got quite a bargain.
****one thing i DO like*******
if the drawer is open-it won't run. it needs the door to be shut for a colmplete 'circuit' in order to run-even if it is still on-it won't run. i really like this-less chance of getting hurt using it!

dante11

Mine is still working the same way may be a clogged sensor and not really wanting to take it apart
if i don't feed a leaf as soon as the previous one is finished, it will pause-even with it on-but when a leaf gets set in it, it will start up. i think this is just to stop it from running constantly-preserving the motor-maybe?
i wonder how ofteni should replace the blades? and if there is a way for me to get them sharpened....it reminds me of a paper shredder-including the bin and drawer beneath it!

dante11

does anyone think that the tobacco taste better/less harsh using the powermatic versus the mach 1?
or is it the same?

burge

Cut determines taste for sure. I have a continuous on shredder so it should be but it still shreds so it works. The Polish ones are good and I have seen the Mach 1 in 1mm cut which would be good. I shred some stems and stems adds taste to the tobacco. I know which ones to shred and don't do it for every leaf. However anything vein size I shred. Getting back to taste I can make a leaf taste different probable 3 to 5 ways thinking you smoking a different tobacco. Coarse cube flake fine and pressed all taste different.

Status
Not open for further replies.