Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Poor burning cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

ne3go

Thank you all for your advices.
I will continue to kiln for a couple of weeks, and then probably throw them away!
BarG i was using goat manure (composted) and a fertilizer from my father in law which was 12-10-20. I think that the potassium was sulphate, but should check.
The bump is, that already had this organic fertilizer with much potassium in proper form...Next year.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thank you all for your advices.
I will continue to kiln for a couple of weeks, and then probably throw them away!
BarG i was using goat manure (composted) and a fertilizer from my father in law which was 12-10-20. I think that the potassium was sulphate, but should check.
The bump is, that already had this organic fertilizer with much potassium in proper form...Next year.

I'm frothing at the mouth for the opportunity to put in practice all the things I learned from my mistakes this season. If I can remember all the stuff I screwed up, I should have a much better season next year. I can't wait.

Another thing you can try as a last resort. Shredded tobacco should burn better due to more surface area of the leaf being exposed to the heat. Shred your baccy and maybe try one of those finger rollers to roll cigarillos using the shred. Or buy a cheap pipe and see how the shredded baccy works in the pipe. If this works, it could save you from throwing your crop away. You may even find some blends you like in cigarettes. Also, if you find a variety that burns better than the others, try it in a blend with the lesser combustible varieties. Can you purchase any loose tobacco to mix with yours?

ne3go

Knucks i tried to smoke my leaves shredded and rolling a cigarrete, still difficult to hold the burn.
So the best option is to kiln them, and leave them to age. If next year have a proper amount of burning leaves, i'll use my aged non-burning leaves as a mix.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That sounds like a good plan. Sure beats throwing leaf away. That was alot of hard work.

istanbulin

Founding Member
First I thought that your soil is Andisol type (because of volcanic affect in the past) but by a further search I realized that it's not. If it was already Andisol you never had these problems, sorry to say that you have a very hard soil to grow anything, actually traditional Tomataki and vines are ok and unique.

I looked at the fertilizer you mentioned above, after (superficially) looking at the article below I think that fertilizer is not suitable for your soil type. You need low (almost free) Na and Cl (including NaCl and KCl form) fertilizer. Also selecting a fertilizer by considering the pH value is important.

Here's the article: Soils developed on volcanic materials in the island of Thera, Greece

Last edited:

ne3go

...sorry to say that you have a very hard soil to grow anything...

I know that...lot of people think that Santorini's volcanic soil is like other volcanic soils, rich and fertile, but the trooth is opposite. Its a very-very poor sandy soil, a little better than desert.
I will do one last year try. Make a soil analysis, deside the fertilize, add a lot of manure and perhaps some rich clay soil. But its an effort with so many labor and expenses...
Thanks for the link, i'll read it carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.