Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pot size

Moth

I'm growing some in pots this year. I recall reading 5gal is a recommended minimum size (the site search says "pot" is to small to search for) so asking!

Considering using polythene grow bags, as they're £7 for 10..
  1. 15" x 15" (38cm x 38m)
  2. 9.6 US Gallons (7.9 Imperial Gallons or 36 litres)
51qWr6Q4ziL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Look OK? They do have a larger size (17"/50l) although unsure if that's overkill?

Charly

I think this size is really big enough for a standard plant (y)
The real difficulty is to find the right soil to put in the pot.

Moth

The real difficulty is to find the right soil to put in the pot
I'd assumed standard garden centre compost would be fine for pots. My flowerbeds are chalky / alkaline, and I mix in a healthy amount of compost when planting out.

Tomatoes seem to thrive in both...

What is the right / best soil? Other than well drained and well composted I didn't think tobacco was that fussy.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That 9 gallon bag is generous. Given their width, you could just fill them ~3/4 of the way. (I would be inclined to drive a wood tomato stake into the center of each bag, and a foot or more into the ground beneath, so they won't topple over in the wind, once the tobacco is standing tall. ) If you use "standard garden centre compost", their N: P:K values (sodium, phosphate, potasium) are often quite low, which will mean that you need to add fertilizer. Select "low chlorine" fertilizer for veggies. A 10:10:10 preparation should be fine, used at a rate for tomatoes.

Bob

Charly

I did not grow many tobacco plants in pots so I don't know what soil is good or bad.
All I know is that the plants I grew in pots were really smaller than the ones I grew in full ground.
I know some people here managed to grow big and healthy plants in pots, maybe they can give you better hints than me ;)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My (very few) potted plants in quite large pots seemed to be about 2/3 their expected height, with leaves about 2/3 as long.

Bob

LivinInPiperHell

For what it's worth; I'm growing in 30 liter pots. I'm on a budget so I'm using coco coir/peat bricks for soil. [A brick that makes 10 liters is around $2.50]
I'm a complete novice so time will tell.

Coco coir/peat holds water really well which is good for my conditions where Summers are really hot [today is forecast to be 45*C/113*F]
In milder climates I'd mix in up to 25% perlite for drainage.
In this heat the plants need to be watered at least every other day.
I'm using a tomato fertiliser.

So far they're doing well. I staggered the planting so they don't all ripen at the same time.
My most advanced plants [Burley] are 6' tall & look healthy.