Whole Leaf Tobacco

poulet au vinaigre (chicken sauté w/ creamy vinegar sauce)

tullius

Classic dish: serve over rice or with a plate of rustic crusty bread.

3-4 lbs. chicken, cut into 8 pieces (3 big leg quarters split at the joint works too, just make sure it's skin on and sectioned)​
2 T. butter​
2 medium onions, diced​
4 cloves of garlic, minced​
3 T. AP flour​
4 roma tomatoes, diced​
1/4 c. dry vermouth or white wine​
1 1/2 c. distilled white vinegar​
2 c. house made vegetable broth, salted only lightly​
4 sprigs fresh tarragon or 1 t. dried​
4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 t. dried​
2 bay leaves​
1/2 t. dried rosemary​
1/2 t. dried red pepper flakes​
4 c. whole milk​
salt and pepper to taste​

Heat butter gently in min. 3 gallon stainless stockpot. Season chicken with salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Thoroughly brown on all sides on high heat, 8-10 minutes, rendering the fat. Work in batches if necessary. Remove chicken and keep warm.

To same stockpot add onion and garlic and sautee over medium heat for 8-10 minutes. Add flour, stir well, then deglaze with vermouth and add tomatoes, vinegar, broth, tarragon, and thyme. Mix well and bring to a low boil. Return chicken and all jus to pot, lower heat, and simmer for 45 min.

Discard the chicken skin and bay leaves. Remove chicken pieces and keep warm. Add whole milk and simmer over medium heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Puree sauce with immersion blender or pass through a fine sieve. Taste and adjust seasoning. Return chicken pieces to stockpot for 10 minutes : serve immediately.

tullius

Thanks Knuck, me too now :)

Mods, can the thread title be altered again to read "poulet au vinaigre (chicken saute w/creamy vinegar sauce)"? I know the intent was to provide english and I forgot to do so, but pickled chicken is a very different dish.