Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Powermatic S Shredder TS020

springheal

After much use, my shredders nylon gear (pic attached) is stripped as the cutters/gears are seized due to lack of use for a long time.
I have sprayed everything with CRC but unable to get things moving as yet. Any solutions to clean the gunk to free things up?

I have sent an email to:
I have not received a reply as yet as Powermatic are no doubt closed for the new year holidays.
Is anyone able to confirm I have the correct email address please.

Attachments

• Gear.JPG
    Gear.JPG
    435.6 KB · Views: 33

springheal

After seizing up the unit and soaking with CRC, it was still frozen solid. Next thing I did is pour boiling water over the cutters/combs and the water was filthy. Next step was waterbasting the hell out of it focusing on the cutters/comb area (I had securely bagged the motor and wiring). Next I attempted to move the cutters with a spanner, but the spanner needed a whack with the hammer and bingo, all freed up.
I have ordered 4 nylon gears and when they arrive I will be all set. Zico USA have little to no stock left for the shredder, hence the reason I purchased 4 nylon bearings when I only need 1 !
Thanks again Bob for providing the link as all their contact details have changed over the years.

springheal

Today, I fitted a new gear, re greased everything in the gearbox and is now running perfectly. As this is the latest (and last) model, there appears to me a minor problem with over heating which is acknowledged by the manufacturer as they have a warning sticker which states:
please let shredder cool down after 30 minutes of use, It may stop running when overheated
This has often happened to me in the past, maybe 20-30 minutes and it automatically stops. After a rest it's back to normal.
While the shredder was stripped, I reversed the cooling fan as it was only extracting warm air near the motor. By reversing it, it is now drawing cool air in and blowing on to the motor. I am sure this will help, time will tell. Further down the track, I may install another fan as there is room for another.

Attachments

• Motor&Fan.JPG
    Motor&Fan.JPG
    874.2 KB · Views: 19

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You might look at some computer cpu heat sink fan coolers, that might be applied directly to the body of the motor. For example:

Bob

springheal

Great suggestion Bob. In the meantime, I will wait and see what the results will be with what I have done in the meantime. So far, I haven't shredded any leaf, just let it run for sometime without leaf.

springheal

Have been giving the machine a good test. Put through 2.4kg/5.3lbs of very dry leaf (slightly crispy). The machine remains nice and clean when shredding very dry leaf. My mistake in the past was using leaf that was leathery which caused the machine to clog up. In summary, the drier the better (within reason so as not to make dust!) The other bonus is that the shred is finer which suits me for cigarettes.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    819.2 KB · Views: 18

larryccf

one suggestion i'll throw out there - we had a problem with nylon oil pump gears on honda tractors - showing sheared teeth like springheel showed above. Problem with it on the hondas when the nylon oil pump gear sheered, the oil pump stopped pumping oil and the connecting rods would lock up and throw a hole in the engine's case
a chemical engineer, retired, from Dow Chemical chimed in the petroleum type oils and greases degrade polymers, in his words petroleum solvents were "corrosive" to polymers and embrittled them, and also causing them to compact (or shrink).
He recommended true synthetic oils and greases for use with nylon gears.

I pulled my engine down as it has 28 years on it, and pulled the oil pump gear while i ordered a new one - found the old gear was some .050" thou smaller in diameter than the new one. I switched to a true synthetic motor oil - and for the record, Mobil One and Chevron's synthetic motor oils are not true synthetic - they lobbied the petroleum associate to modify the definition of "synthetic motor oil" to include their molecular y modified petroleum motor oil so they could advertise it as "synthetic". I had noticed my Mobile One motor oil would turn black not much longer than my petroleum motor oils, about 7 - 10K miles. When i went to true synthetic oils, my oil ran 20 - 22K miles before turning coca cola brown. Do some google research on the subject and you'll be surprised at what you learn.

fwiw

larryccf

okay - I'm looking at the Powermatic S shredder - is the latest iteration or generation free of stupid issues?

Brown Thumb

They all have issues. Powermatics work great. I gave mine away and they are still running Strong.
I use Fresh Choice machines the older model works better than the new one.

larryccf

appreciate the response, i was hoping for a more positive response, positive to my hoping issues have been resolved.
i'll research all the threads here on the subject

tks again