Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Preparing Burley for cigarette blend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wagner

The battery went dead on our forklift at work. We knew it was hidden under the seat (hood) but couldn't find the release lever to flip it up for access. :confused: Searching the internet revealed nothing, even Utube disappointed. We knew that ultimately there would be an obvious answer. Didn't make it any less frustrating OR amusing for that matter.

Wagner

Thanks FmGrowit. In fact, researching the burley toasting process is like pullin' teeth. At least for me it is.

The only other tidbit I ran across was this:

"Burley tobacco drying after casing is typically performed over 5–6 min, and the tobacco reaches a temperature of about 75°C (167 F) at the end of the drying process (Abdallah, 2004).
The largest effect of the thermal treatment, besides water evaporation, is the release of ammonia."

I believe Abdallah is a tobacco consultant, more random internet confusion on my part. It's the only mention that specifies duration and (leaf) temperature.

Commencing trials..... ;)

holyRYO

Tried one sample of the 250 F for 1 hr toasted burley... the smoothest yet... waiting for the batch to completely rehydrate for more testing... progress I think.

holyRYO

Tried one sample of the 250 F for 1 hr toasted burley... the smoothest yet... waiting for the batch to completely rehydrate for more testing... progress I think.

Smoked another, this is the best so far, almost no harshness, and very happy with the results. The higher temp toned down the flavor some, a good thing imo. Ecstatic that I now have something I can work with. Will test long term to make sure, but I think this will be my standard procedure. For the fun of it, I will now try some casing/toppings to add after the toast. :)

holyRYO

Smoked another, this is the best so far, almost no harshness, and very happy with the results. The higher temp toned down the flavor some, a good thing imo. Ecstatic that I now have something I can work with. Will test long term to make sure, but I think this will be my standard procedure. For the fun of it, I will now try some casing/toppings to add after the toast. :)

After smoking a half dozen more, I would like to rephrase that to, much of the harshness reduced, kinda builds the more I smoke.

BarG

Founding Member
Does any one smoke there burly un toasted? Besides me! I have never been wholeheartily tried the casings or most toasting methods due to lack of ingredients without special trip to market or ignorance. I found kilning to be really nice for fresh burly. My tops are some of the best addition to a homegrown cigar and out of 6 large BigB plants last year I have 2 hands left. So many of my cigarette varietys have not undergone the methods you guys use I am wondering what I'm missing.:cool:

BarG

Founding Member
Your probably munchin on pigs feet and hog jowls right now, smothered in canned tomato sauce.[ or not]I CAN DEFINITELY DO WITHOUT THE LETTUCE.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
BigBonner's air-cured Burley Red Tips go well in a cigar, unkilned or kilned. My Harrow Velvet (burley) is smooth as a baby's bottom, flavorful, mild, and a deep golden brown out of the kiln.

Now, I'll have to admit that I don't subject my lungs to any of it.

About BLTs...

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
The Bonner red tips are really good . I bought a few lbs. thinking cig. tobacco and he sent me the red tips cigar, Thinking I'm cigar smoker. I am sure glad now because mine are most gone [in cigars]and his are getting more well aged. They are bigger too. If you make a cigarette mix that is to mild just add a couple and bring it up a notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.