Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pressure Canner Cavendish v2.0

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have had the joy of sampling a number of Levi's tobaccos. (http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/pressure-canner-cavendish-v2-0.6255/page-8#post-153677) Also included were samples of Mississippi Heirloom Burley and Levi's Semois.

Thanks to two other members, I have in the past smoked two different commercial versions of Semois from Belgium: both Joseph Martin and Vincent Manil), neither of which I cared much for. They seemed hot and dry, even when humidified. By contrast, Levi's kilned Semois seems smoother and more mellowed, and I find it an enjoyable smoke with a subtle floral quality missing in the commercial preparations. His kilned MS Heirloom is also mellow and tasty. As a burley, the MS Heirloom is more smokable as a solo performance than most burleys.

My favorites of Levi's Cavendish blends are the Uncased Balkan Cavendish and BigBonner's flue-cured Virginia Cavendish. The Balkan Cavendish bears little resemblance to my Balkan Blends. It is all dark, with an underlying smokiness, a rich body, and a pleasant aroma. I preferred it over his cased Balkan Cavendish, which does not strike me as cased (it's not sticky, spongy or aromatic), but does have a slight bite that I associate with polypropylene glycol (maybe used in the flavorants?). The flue-cured Virginia Cavendish is new to me, is mild, and smokes well.

So I will declare Levi's pipe tobacco creations a smashing success.

Bob

Levi Gross

I am honored to receive such a wonderful review. Thank you so much @deluxestogie. Here at home I have no other fellow pipe smokers and hardly anyone interested in the labor of love for good tobacco. My wife will occasionally hit my cob or briar, but mostly she is good for exhausting all my leaf in cigarettes. All of my Semois is now gone and I’m hiding the Mississippi Heirloom from her. What I am getting at is I am my own worst critic and she a diehard menthol smoker. So to receive such a high praise from a fellow pipe man is an honor!

ChinaVoodoo

Two of my brothers smoke cigars. Both live elsewhere. Pipe smokers are even rarer to come by. I suspect that many of us are living in similar, pipe smoker deserts.

Bob
Edmonton is the pipe smoking capital of Canada. Safe to say that significantly more pipes are sold per capita than anywhere else. I go back and forth between cigars and pipes, but I truly am a pipe smoker.

Charly

Yes, it's all the same here : it's very difficult to find any pipe smokers ...
And even more difficult to find a pipe smoker that is interested in trying natural tobacco.
Thankfuly we have FTT members !

Beren

Yes, it's all the same here : it's very difficult to find any pipe smokers ...
And even more difficult to find a pipe smoker that is interested in trying natural tobacco.
Thankfuly we have FTT members !
I have been smoking pipes since I stole my Dad's pipes for camping trips when I was 14-years old, now 52. I have always liked English, Oriental and Viginia blends with little to no casings. If you want some feedback on your tobaccos then I can be your taster. I am up in Sweden.

Radagast

I had a few leaves knocked off of a goose creek red plant by my dog a week or so back. Not thinking they would dry that fast, or that the sun would toast them so harshly, I threw them on a patio chair and went out for the day. When I came back they were brown on top and green on the bottom.20200721_124252.jpg I've been thinking about what to do with it so I pressure cookered it at 15 or so lbs for 3.5 hrs. I did half with just water and half with a honey/rum/water mix, thinking if it soaked up some invert sugar it should brown up. It did, and the no sugar one remained green. Sure smells weird itself but the fork I took it out with smells pretty good!
Left is no sugar, right is the honey water one.
20200721_171525.jpg

GWLee

I shred my tobacco before making Perique or Cavendish. Makes it much easier to pull apart and much easier to dry.
Sorry for hitting a long ago post, but I hope to start my Cavendish experimenting this next weekend and while I have ten lbs of leaf due in tomorrow along with 12 lbs of other leafs I got in last week, I also have a lot of shredded tobacco that I wanted to experiment on. I've earmarked about half of all that whole leaf to the experimenting following tidbits from everyone on this thread.

How does/did your Cavendish turn out (from the shredded tobacco)?
Did/do you use the same processes for shredded as you do for whole leaf?
Sorry for what may seem like dumb questions, but I've got a brand new pressure cooker and two cases of mason jars that I hope to come up to speed on the processes and hope I do it like it's supposed to be done. Hope to start out with just straight tobacco and once I get the routine down, plan to branch out by adding flavors and VG.

Thanks for the great information and always enjoying the experimenting is these new adventures and everyone's two cents.

Cheers