Whole Leaf Tobacco

PressuredLeaf's 2021 desert grow

PressuredLeaf

Thanks Bob.

I planted the YTB, Corojo 99, and piloto Cubano transplants today. Most of them are smaller than I’d like for transplanting, but they were root bound. I made sure to be extra careful during the transplant, hopefully the mortality rate isn’t too high. The transplanted Prilep plants look great, they seem to have taken already.

Oldfella

Well, the threat of frost is over and my seedlings are getting root bound. So, today I planted my Prilep seedlings. I planted them a bit closer, roughly 8-10 inches apart.View attachment 35328View attachment 35329
Hi a question for you. Why do you need to plant your baccy on mounds like potatoes? I never bother to do that. Is it for irrigation or because it gets too wet?
Cheers Oldfella

PressuredLeaf

Hi a question for you. Why do you need to plant your baccy on mounds like potatoes? I never bother to do that. Is it for irrigation or because it gets too wet?
Cheers Oldfella
Hi Oldfella, good question!

Its multipurpose, and some people call it "in ground raised bed gardening". In the desert here, both the soil and the water are very high in dissolved solids and we don't get enough rain to leach it down into the subsoil. So by building raised beds in a low spot (my whole garden is in a depression) we can do deep watering to leach the soil without drowning the plants. Plus, during the monsoon season, any rainwater is collected in the depression and is forced to soak in rather than run-off. The other two nice things are it makes convenient paths to walk through, and it keeps me from compressing the tilled beds ( we have very heavy very compactable clay).

On another notes, I got the CT Broadleaf planted today. I gave the garden a nice soak with the overhead sprinkler to help the seedlings establish, but soon i'll switch over to row watering to encourage deeper roots.

Oldfella

Hi Oldfella, good question!

Its multipurpose, and some people call it "in ground raised bed gardening". In the desert here, both the soil and the water are very high in dissolved solids and we don't get enough rain to leach it down into the subsoil. So by building raised beds in a low spot (my whole garden is in a depression) we can do deep watering to leach the soil without drowning the plants. Plus, during the monsoon season, any rainwater is collected in the depression and is forced to soak in rather than run-off. The other two nice things are it makes convenient paths to walk through, and it keeps me from compressing the tilled beds ( we have very heavy very compactable clay).

On another notes, I got the CT Broadleaf planted today. I gave the garden a nice soak with the overhead sprinkler to help the seedlings establish, but soon i'll switch over to row watering to encourage deeper roots.
Sounds like a great plan. I'll be watching your grow and see how it goes. Best of luck with it. Cheers Oldfella

PressuredLeaf

So, my Prilep transplants seem to have taken as well as my Corojo 99, but I had very high mortality with my CT broadleaf and piloto Cubano. I blame myself for keeping them in small pots too long. So I ordered some larger trays, but I lost my seeds! I guess I have to order more.

PressuredLeaf

I’ve been out of town for 3 weeks, but thought I would post an update. Upon the arrival of my new seeds, I plant some more Corojo 99, ct broadleaf, and piloto cubano. They were transplanted before I left. Upon returning everything has really taken off, especially the Prilep. The cigar varieties are a little slower but still look great.
.C9A93669-1497-4B47-BC76-628704BF2340.jpeg4ED2CC11-577E-466C-8B45-572FBBF71A87.jpeg9F0EDD3C-845D-4B4D-AF58-A5C62E5FACE6.jpeg234419B1-F6B5-4FC4-BA13-52B009280D9E.jpegFA66DA0A-9D06-4ADF-9804-82F240300CDA.jpeg