Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Propylene glycol casing sprayed on wholeleaftobacco?

Roberto

Do they spray the leaf they sell at wholeleaftobacco before shipping out? If so I'm wondering if there is any propylene glycol in the casing they use. I'm sensitive to it and would rather avoid it.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Do they spray the leaf
I have visited the WLT warehouse, and watched them working. They use a mist of pure water to bring the leaf into case for handling. I have smoked many, many pounds of WLT tobacco, and can say with certainty that there is no propylene glycol present. (I also find PG to be undesirable in smoking tobacco, and quite easy to identify when present.) Adding PG would render the leaf a "tobacco product", rather than raw, unprocessed tobacco commodity.

By the way, welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Bob

Mico

The only thing we use PG on is when we're creating "Prop tobacco". We soak the leaves in a PG solution so they don't dry out and become brittle. When we do this, we put a warning on the package "not fit for consumption".
What is Prop tobacco?

Is there a difference between using PG or Glycerol?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a difference between using PG or Glycerol?
They are different chemicals, though they differ by only one hydroxyl group

Glycerol_structure.JPG
propyleneGlycol_structure.jpg

Lose another hydroxyl, and you end up with an alcohol: propanol. Simple organic chemistry. Lose all the hydroxyl groups, and you have propane.

Bob

GrowleyMonster

Creator of the Imperfecto
I believe Propylene Glycol is also used in antfreeze. It tastes sweet to dogs, and dogs have been poisoned from lapping up spilled puddles of the stuff. I could care less about traces of glycerine, but I certainly wouldn't want any antifreeze in my cigars.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Propylene Glycol is also used in antfreeze
Automotive antifreeze is made from ETHYLENE glycol, which is toxic. Propylene glycol is contained in many of the foods you purchase, is not toxic, and is added to most commercial pipe tobacco blends. Propylene glycol is not used in cigars.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Polyethylene glycol refered to as (peg) is the product I was trying to remember. Used to soak turning blanks prone to radial split. I've never used it, it's very expensive and no bueno for tobacco.