Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Quarantine Cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenDragon

This weekends baking:

To prevent marital strife, the wife purchased her own dedicated Dutch oven for breadmaking. So I have one for cooking and she has one for baking. I graciously volunteered to season it for her in the grill.
Lodge.jpg

The first boule. Great oven spring. Mix of regular and rye flours.
Bread.jpg

Son #2 decided he wanted to bake something too this weekend, so he made a batch of pretzels. Very good!
Pretzels.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Squirrel-free Brunswick Stew

I soaked about ½ cup of dried lima beans overnight. They were then cooked alone in the Crockpot for about two hours, until tender. To this, I then added the remainder of the ingredients, and simmered on High for a few hours.

Garden20220405_6316_BrunswickStew_ingredients01_600.jpg

Brunswick stew is a fairly random recipe everywhere. [There's always at least one clown who fails to show up on time for the class photograph.]

Garden20220405_6317_BrunswickStew_ingredients02_500.jpg

My Ingredients:
  • Lima beans
  • Corn (whole kernel or creamed-style) (drained)
  • Canned chicken (drained)
  • Canned, diced tomatoes (drained)
  • Margarine
  • Apple cider vinegar
  • Molasses
  • Mustard
  • Dried bell pepper powder
  • Chives
  • Packet of Goya ham flavoring
  • Black pepper and salt to taste
The chunk chicken falls apart during the long simmer. In the event that you have no chicken, either bunny rabbit or squirrel (or both together) can be used as a substitute.

Garden20220405_6318_BrunswickStew_500.jpg

Bob

GreenDragon

My first date with my (now wife of 25 years) I went to pick her up at her house. Her parents lived out in the countryside (directions included instructions to turn left when you see the bull munching on blackberry vines). Her older brother was on leave from the Navy and decided to scare his sister’s date. I found the house, pulled up and parked to see her brother walking up to my car with a shotgun and two rabbits and three squirrels in his hands. I looked him right in the eye and said if he was any good of a shot he’d use a .22 and not spoil the meat with buckshot.

He didn’t shoot me (it was a near thing), and her mom fried them up and served them over rice with pan gravy. I still remember how fantastic everything tasted. And how I hated finding stray buckshot every couple bites.

BarG

Founding Member
Lol, figures

I won't get into yeast, lol. My neighbor makes some really good bread. When I was a kid I actually made a loaf of bread that was edible .

Bob, you sure are a stickler for dates. I have a lot of catching up to do.

GreenDragon

Store your yeast in the fridge or, better yet, the freezer. They will remain viable much longer. I usually keep a jar of yeast in the freezer and a few packets in the fridge. Always be prepared for when the baking muse strikes!

Also, this stuff is da bomb! Don’t have to bloom it in water, you mix it dry straight into the flour. I always keep a few strips in the fridge.

1F49ABDA-EB19-4333-AEC3-2C09DD9B909E.jpeg

BarG

Founding Member
I knew I should have took you fishing. I'm a wanna be cook, mainly out of necessity, my wife won't. I have a venison sirloin cut in half ( Crockpot is only medium size) stew going now with all homegrown ingredients other than baby carrots and Mexican style stewed tomatoes. All Broccoli,onions hot and sweet peppers ,cream corn (last bag) potatoes homegrown.

Plus when I go share with a neighbor we'll throw some zucchini wedges on the pit wit there stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.