Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Quarantine Cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenDragon

Tonight's Menu: Garlic Butter Shrimp Scampi, Baked Barramundi with shrimp stuffing, and cole slaw. This shot is of my Son's plate, as I had already plowed through half of mine before thinking of taking a pic LOL!
(He's not a fan of slaw, can you tell?)

IMG_1374.jpg

GreenDragon

Tonight’s dinner was pot roast over rice. Nothing fancy, but dang good eatin’! Chuck roast, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and potatoes. Fresh thyme, rosemary, and sage from the garden. Brown the meat, add stock and veg, and cook in a Dutch oven at 275 for 3-4 hours.

53D13022-B077-4E8C-9BF6-D7AD64FAA09B.jpeg

plantdude

The small amount of leftovers from a Dutch oven full of my own creation of a hybridized Kimchi jjigae / Gamjatang pork bone soup recipe. That was supposed to be enough to provide at least one night worth of leftovers, didn't make it. it's always a compliment when my almost vegetarian daughter eats two bowls full of a dish with meat in it and the rest of the family horks down thirds:)
image.jpeg

Glad it tastes better than it looks:)
1 cup homemade kimchi, about two pounds thin sliced browned pork, taters, carrots, tofu, onions, garlic, ginger, red pepper, soybean paste, mirin, hot pepper, beef stock, etc...

GreenDragon

Tonight’s menu was created on the fly as I sprinted through the grocery store this morning.

Slow smoked thick cut pork chops w/ dry rub coating (great smoke ring!)
Baked beans (can augmented with red onions sautéed with bacon and house hot sauce)
Cole slaw
Fresh apple pie. Tip - always cook your pies in cast iron. The crust won’t stick and you’ll never have a soggy bottom.

5D0CDE4A-B51C-41D1-BD4C-69D23AADB81C.jpeg

F9D02B9D-CF4B-4853-956E-B0A5A9EC39CA.jpeg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20200920_5437_spamAndFriends_600.jpg

This is my last can of diced tomato, my last summer squash for the season, and the last slice of Spam from the can I opened last week. Herbs, spices, cider vinegar and olive oil. Served with a half-stack of whole wheat Ritz Crackers.

Bob

plantdude

Not Saint Patrick's day but the wife's paternal lineage was a Mac that immigrated and became a Mc which latter immigrated to America. We also have a red headed child. It's justified - corned beef and cabbage wth beer bread is on.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Knucklehead

Founding Member

plantdude

Irish Cajun meets German (McLeStein?). Used homemade sauerkraut, Cajun sausage, a little of the leftover corned beef from last night, potatoes, onions, ripe garden Serranos, a small amount of homegrown carrots, mushrooms, cayenne pepper, a touch of apple cider vinegar, 3 tbsp brown sugar in a little beer and beef broth. Cooked it in the cast iron skillet then threw it under the broiler with a healthy dose of sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese on top. Turned out pretty good.
image.jpeg

plantdude

Left to right: tobacco brine experiment, 2 jars of sauerkraut, kimchi.
View attachment 32396

Not pictured is the 6 gallon bucket from the wine making kit my wife surprised me with for a birthday recently. Not sure what she was thinking given our previous attempts. She bought 4 pounds of regular grapes thinking that would be enough... Wound up going with the the four pounds of grapes plus about 5 gallons of welches grape juice (Concord grapes). Bet that's going to turn out wonderful. On the plus side the wine making stuff can be repurposed for beer making after this failed attempt.
The kitchen is going to smell great, 6 gallons of fermenting wine, sauerkraut, tobacco, and kimchi. Should make some cheese while I'm at it.
Update on the wine - after multiple rackings I got it bottled today, almost as wonderful as I imagined it would be (insert sarcasm emoji here). I found out that if I add about 2 tsp of sugar to a bottle and chill it in the fridge it's almost drinkable. It's a bit on the dry and tart side. I think I'll let the remaining bottles age for another year or ten - or until I move to a state where stills are legal...
I'm not sure but I think somewhere in France @Charly is laughing about the American trying to make wine - if not he should be;)

Status
Not open for further replies.