Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Question about making cavendish

bluewalls

Looking at descriptions of cavendish on other websites, they say that after steaming, the cavendish is put under pressure to ferment for a day or several days. This is confusing me, because on this forum, I’ve read you can make cavendish with a pressure cooker, and the fermentation is apparently not necessary, at least not fermentation under pressure. I understand that a pressure cooker will put pressure on the tobacco, but surely it can’t be fermenting at that higher temperature in the cooker.

So, my question is, if this is what tobacco producers are doing to make cavendish, what is the point of fermenting under pressure, and why isn’t it done on this forum?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I’m wondering if the process of making Cavendish wasn’t confused with making Perique somewhere down the line. Here is the process for making Perique.

photo of BigBonners Perique press

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Cavendish process is simply cooking cured tobacco in the presence of ample moisture. Any tobacco--Cavendish or otherwise--will undergo changes when pressed.

Bob

bluewalls

This makes me wonder what the same cavendish would taste like with two different treatments: one put under pressure for a few days after pressure cooking, and the other not.