Whole Leaf Tobacco

Question for the Lakeland’s fans

Davo

Ahi Ka - Well-Known Member
Any of you Lakeland’s fans tried infusing some homemade blends with a Lakeland’s essence?

I was thinking about rubbing out a flake of something like Ennerdale and mixing it in with something, either prior to pressing, or afterwards, and then placing in a sealed jar in a water bath (190f) for about 5 hours.

Anyone had any success or failures trying this?

ChinaVoodoo

Any of you Lakeland’s fans tried infusing some homemade blends with a Lakeland’s essence?

I was thinking about rubbing out a flake of something like Ennerdale and mixing it in with something, either prior to pressing, or afterwards, and then placing in a sealed jar in a water bath (190f) for about 5 hours.

Anyone had any success or failures trying this?
Funny you should mention it. I've only just begun exploring this business. Years ago, I bought some Samuel Gawith Grouse Moor and I liked the taste but the ghosts it left were insane and not worth it.

That's my only experience with Lakeland, unless if you count Bob's Chocolate and 1792, etc. I honestly don't know what Lakeland is supposed to be.

But right now, I have, on the go, a very heavy tobacco blend: Goose Creek, Nostrano del Brenta, Bursa, Latakia, homegrown Costello Negro black cav.

To about 2oz, I've added 8 drops neroli oil, 10 drops 9% rose oil, 5 drops of bitters; and 4 caps full of rum; and 1tsp sugar.

The aroma is strong but the flavour is very light.

Davo

I love the grouse! I’m normally pretty generous with sharing blends around, but that one is off limits! I really enjoy smoking it in a small clay, or sometimes a pinch mixed into a pouch of 79.

Yeah Lakeland’s is a funny one. I haven’t had much experience with the genre but I have enjoyed the range of flavours I have tried. Grousemoor is at one end, with almost an apricot jam vibe going on, then there’s the grasmere side with its heavy rose geranium essence, or some of the darker stuff with a clove/spice thing.

The best description of the genre was from the dude who introduced me to it, saying “imagine coming from a long history of making soaps and snuff and then incorporating that practice into smoking tobacco, almost the complete opposite approach to the states, where chew or smoking was the heritage, the Lakeland’s tradition was based on the nasal experience”. I don’t know how true his observations are, but it certainly made sense at the time.

Anyways, I’m just drying out some of the experiment now for this morning’s smoke.

I placed 1oz of a VA plug I had made and sliced into a sealed jar, with 1.5tspn ennerdale flake diced into very small cubes and 3tspn (1/2oz) of water. Placed inside a water bath in a slow cooker and cooked for 7hours on low. This time included however long it took the slow cooker to come to temperature and once I turned it off I left the jar inside overnight with the lid on till cool. Opened just now and the room smells like treacle and rose geranium.

Davo

Stumbled upon this thread in the meantime which I found interesting

Davo

Well, it worked, and I really like it.

Not the full Lakeland’s experience as you would get from the flake itself, but a much more mellow flavour that permeates the entire bowl. I haven’t really smoked any of the British OTCs, but I imagine this is what they must be like.

Next time I might increase the quantity of ennerdale to match the liquid. I will also add a bit of burley, and maybe a touch of dark fired leaf as a condiment.

ChinaVoodoo

You flavored tobacco with flavored tobacco? :LOL:
I think, based on the pipesmagazine thread you linked, that you chose the right one.

My blend above is probably a 1.5, but I think if the blend was less full bodied, it would have easily been a 2.

Davo

Haha yeah it definitely won’t be allowed in the pure pipe blends thread.

I think going forward, I might try adding a bit of Ennerdale (or whatever Lakeland’s dregs I find in the cellar) to the jar next time I make cavendish, and then treat it as a blending component in itself, rather than trying to make a blend in itself.

One day I’ll get around to making a sauce using seasonal ingredients that are grown here in NZ rather than trying to recreate something from a different terroir