Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Re: Where to Start & How - To Grow and Roll My Own Cigars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quo155

Don, I was still going to buy from you anyway...I've seen way too many reviews on all of the other "whole leaf" sellers...that tell me that you're the best, hands down...in regards to quality, shipping, etc. I was just stating that I now had to wait (and in which, I'm impatient!)...until it was in stock! But, since that was just an error on your site...I will place my order now!

Heading to WLT...(AND Don, thank you ahead of time for the "bunch of samples" to be included!) :)

-Tommy

EDIT! Don, I failed to realize that I could just use my PayPal account to pay for the order, since I only used a MC...so, I was able to pay now instead of mailing a check...Yay! Thank you! Thank you!

quo155

UPDATE:

On Rolling

I've now ordered both the Cigar Sampler and Cigar Wrapper Sampler...as well as the Genuine Hand Made Chaveta from WLT.

THANK YOU Don!

I also ordered some no sugar fruit pectin as well.

Now...continuing to learn from all of you...and preparing to roll my first cigar!

On Growing

Today, I received a very gracious packet of seeds from indianjoe! He sent me four varieties, FL Sumatra, Perique, Dixie Shade, and Havana (Lonnies).

I will begin these babies soon...and I will start a blog here for the "growing".

THANK YOU indianjoe!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Just in case you haven't seen this elsewhere, the key to rolling a cigar is the case (moisture content) of the leaf.
  • filler: low case (dry, but not crumbly)
  • binder: medium case (dry, but flexible--sounds like vinyl)
  • wrapper: high case (damp, stretchy)
The early cigars may be ugly, but if you have the case right, they'll be smokable. Don't be concerned about showing them off. Pretty will come with practice.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You will need a rolling board that can be cut on with the chaveta. Maple or Bamboo cutting boards of adequate size will work. Mine is just a slab of rough cut walnut. I sanded one side to help grip the damp wrapper for stretching. Also a glue pot for your pectin. I just used a small tupperware type container with a lid. If you put it in the refrigerator between uses, it will last longer. I'm using one of those disposable acid type brushes to apply a small amount of pectin at the head of the cigar.

quo155

Bob, thanks...definitely something I need to keep in mind. I agree on the looks as I'm not too concerned at this point. I do however have a pair of cigar molds that I had picked up a few years back from Comacho Cigars. I've been watching rainmax's Rolling Habanos video...over...and over...and over! There's a lot of great info in that video...

Knucklehead, thanks...I'm looking around my shop and online now to see what I can find for the rolling board. Thanks for the suggestion on Maple or Bamboo...now if I can just figure what would be a "good" size of board. I also have a container that I can use for the pectin...but I had not yet thought of that!

Chris A

I do not have a mold, but I do wrap mine in newspaper for an hour or so before putting the wrapper on. For me, this seems to make the cigars more uniform & better looking. If case is correct, cigars will draw nicely.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
At the risk of being burned at the stake for heresy, I'll admit that I have used only a polypropylene cutting board from Walmart for years. It shows up in a lot of my photos of cigar rolling or press cake cutting. The polypropylene is not made from any identifiable source material--dinosaur juice, maybe.

So, in the true Cuban tradition, I use a kulu and a plastic cutting board, and seldom use glue or a mold of any kind. My binder is kept in place with a wooden clothespin clipped to the head, while applying the wrapper.

For me, it's not about honoring spiritual ancestors, but about simplicity and functionality.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I can smell barbeque already (smiley face) ((I know you don't like emoticons))

I think the "tradition" is more about using whatever is available to make your cigars (especially in Cuba).

quo155

In regards to the "magical rolling board"...I've still not decided whether I will just make my own, buy something that catches my eye on eBay, Craigslist, etc. or if I will just use a plain on board for now (as I have plenty in the shop!). Nonetheless...I will use wood, and a hardwood especially!

I think the "tradition" is more about using whatever is available to make your cigars (especially in Cuba).

I like how you ended your comment...well put!

DonH

At the risk of being burned at the stake for heresy, I'll admit that I have used only a polypropylene cutting board from Walmart for years. It shows up in a lot of my photos of cigar rolling or press cake cutting. The polypropylene is not made from any identifiable source material--dinosaur juice, maybe.

So, in the true Cuban tradition, I use a kulu and a plastic cutting board, and seldom use glue or a mold of any kind. My binder is kept in place with a wooden clothespin clipped to the head, while applying the wrapper.

For me, it's not about honoring spiritual ancestors, but about simplicity and functionality.

Bob
I like the clothespin idea! I'm sure the ancestors will be cool with that.

quo155

I received my tobacco today from WLT...wow! What an assortment and it all looks beautiful! Thank you Don!!!

Received:
Seco Banda - 2005
Habano Ligero
98 Seco
Ecuador Shade
Dominican Seco
Criollo 98 Seco
Piloto Cubano Seco
Corojo Seco
Ecuador Maduro
Paraguay Flojo Viso
Habana 2000

WLT1stOrder042414_zpsf580435f.jpg

& a chaveta

WLTChaveta042414_zps62e8b5be.jpg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That's a good looking haul! I'm really liking my chaveta also.

Another clothespin idea. When you cut the heat sealed part off the bag, roll it down and clip it shut with two clothespins. I used to use masking tape, but that's a pain. If you re-heat seal it, you will always be cutting your bag shorter and shorter. The bags are worth keeping for your home grown later. The bags are also available separately from Don. I mark the contents with masking tape so I can peel it off and reuse the bag. I used to write straight on the bag until I ran out of a variety and realized I could use the bag for another variety.

Gdaddy

I hope you give us a review of all the different tobaccos! Nice haul.

Do regular zip shut freezer bags work?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Do regular zip shut freezer bags work?
The freezer bags are useful for very short-term storage, but since they are vapor permeable, the contents will slowly dry, though more slowly than with the thinner sandwich bags. Don's bags are a combination of polypropylene and Nylon, and are practically vapor impermeable.

Bob

moscca

Good luck quo155 !!
A bit jealous, still 2 weeks until my shipment arrives !

Status
Not open for further replies.