Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Re: Where to Start & How - To Grow and Roll My Own Cigars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

forumdotabaco

We need vacuum packing here because of the summer, to avoid mold, but I'm speaking about commercial practices, for home use is not needed, big sealed jars work just great.

quo155

Thanks everyone! It will be a little bit before I get to rolling as I am still setting up an area in my shop. But...as soon as I do, I will review these, for sure!

BarG

Founding Member
The lower leaves are huge so work well for a large cigar. The mid leaves are okay for smaller ring cigars. I primarilly use them for binders unless I am doing a single wrap with no binder. I like to take a roller and flatten the veins before using as a wrapper. It is a mild flavor that works well if you have a tendendency to inhale your cigar on occassion.

BarG

Founding Member
You'll be in hog heaven with that leaf you got from Don. His leaf is ready to smoke. Fold the lip of the bag over a couple of times an seal with a bag clip or clothes pin. Save any vapor proof bags you get or order the size you need from WLT.

quo155

Arizona Dave...thank you! I did not get any in this recent batch...but something to add to my "wish list"!

ArizonaDave

quo155

ArizonaDave

You're welcome quo155! The fire cured is also used in Drew estate's "Kentucky Fire Cured".

I've heard that we should use it sparingly, kind of like a Liguero. Finck Cigar Company in Texas also has used this leaf in their blends.

I'm ordering some this week too.

Oh wow! Nice pic!

ArizonaDave

The filler combines Nicaraguan and Dominican ligero, Brazilian Mata Fina, and a bit of fire-cured tobacco. Completing the international mix is an Ecuadorian Habano wrapper and a Nicaraguan Rosado binder.

This is what it has in it, but they're not letting on what the "bulk" of the filler is. Liguero's, Mata Fina, and Fire Cured are ones that you only add a couple of strips off of a half leaf for flavor.

I'm thinking it probably has Nicaraguan Habano Seco as it's base filler. It has a woodsy taste to it.

I've ordered several types (all great) from http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com, so feel free to ask me anytime!

quo155

One (of a list of several things I need to do) thing I have yet to do, is really do some digging and research as to what is used in some of my favorite cigars. Now, I am not trying to necessarily duplicate brands and their sticks, but I do like this information for starting points. As a long time cigar smoker, I have many...many that I love. I would love to hit anywhere close and then try and build on that.

Your info, Dave is quiet helpful in encouraging me to do just this...in the near future. First, I'll get my station set up and then begin "trying" to roll a smokeable smoke, first!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My favorite over the counter cigar is a Padron. I've just about duplicated it with the Nicaraguan Seco and Ligero with a Maduro wrapper. I'm a happy man. You like what you like for a reason, there's nothing wrong with trying to find something close but better. :)

ArizonaDave

I like Padron too! I've done the Nicaraguan Seco with Dominican Liguero Entubado Style, and a Habana 2000 wrapper. Made a 7 X 70" and was outside over 2 hours loving it. Haven't tried a Maduro wrapper yet except the Aleman Seco, which has a nice milk chocolate taste (I'm still craving), but it was a bit of a bear for me to work with on my first time. Glad I did though, 'cause I can roll anything now.

I don't think I'll be happy until I try ALL whole leaf tobacco leaves, LOL.

quo155

I too like a Padron. But, I tend to like a large array of cigars...and this SL Black is one that I recently tried that really has me wanting another...of that exact cigar. I look forward to trying to make my own soon...once I get to rolling!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
After getting my area set up, I rolled eight cigars last night using a mold. The most I've ever rolled at one sitting. I'd like to give a big shout out to the gentleman who set me up with the mold: Thank you Sir! I have no idea how they will smoke yet, some seem a little tight. Trial and error.

They're still ugly but made a huge jump up in looks with the mold. I just hope they'll draw.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Probably the best guide I've seen for how to roll the bulk for a mold is in Rainmax' video of the congenial Cuban lady. You can see her placing about a half dozen cigars individually into the mold (not the rotate and replace maneuverer). They seem to be already rolled to the diameter of the mold slot, allowing the mold to just put a good, smooth finish on the surface, without further compressing the filler.

Bob

ArizonaDave

LOL! Don just posted a deal on last year's Virginia red, a little more tart. Order 5 lbs for $50, free shipping. Can't pass that up! I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.