Whole Leaf Tobacco

Real old Baccy

stdly

I was looking for some containers to store some baccy.
I moved a couple times quick and remembered I had some old jar that I used to use, so went looking through some old boxes and found these They are around 7-10 years old.

Real Old Baccy.jpg
My question is the Dunhill and the Erinmore are dried out but still seem to have great fragrance can I rehydrate this tobacco.
The two pouches are still moist maybe additives?

Steve

MRM

I was looking for some containers to store some baccy.
I moved a couple times quick and remembered I had some old jar that I used to use, so went looking through some old boxes and found these They are around 7-10 years old.

View attachment 30724
My question is the Dunhill and the Erinmore are dried out but still seem to have great fragrance can I rehydrate this tobacco.
The two pouches are still moist maybe additives?

Steve
My experience is if you want to rehydrate it, you should do it slowly. I have placed dry baccy in a mason jar with a boveda for a day or two and it worked. You can also leave it open to air on a rainy day.
The kicker is - it usually isn't quite as good as before.

How dry are they?

I have also found that if it isn't too dry (crumbly) it still smokes pretty well. With virginias I get more flavor when the baccy is dry ( just before crunchy) vs moist.

stdly

Great bonanza! Just flick a bit of moisture into the containers from your fingers. Check the next day. Repeat if needed.

Bob
Thanks guys.
The finger flick sounds good I have used it on herb before,
I did pack a 3/4 bowl of my best bulk mostly Latakia and topped it off with first the Dunhill and then the Erindale a couple hour apart and they both taste pretty good.
I am not a huge VA fan and I think that is why I put these away but I think it's time to give the VA's another try.
Some moisture won't hurt it burned dry so I went easy on it

Steve

stdly

I opened up the Amphora Mellow Blend and I think I smell Three Nuns is weird this tobacco does not get great reviews and I must of put it away for a reason, they are both made by Mac Baren now.
Again it`s not that bad, just as good as I remember the Three Nun being but I was not a huge fan either.

Steve

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I opened up the Amphora Mellow Blend and I think I smell Three Nuns is weird this tobacco does not get great reviews and I must of put it away for a reason, they are both made by Mac Baren now.
Again it`s not that bad, just as good as I remember the Three Nun being but I was not a huge fan either.

Steve
You could use them as a base for some of your own blends that you find more to your liking. A little Perique of this, a little Cavendish of that...

stdly

You could use them as a base for some of your own blends that you find more to your liking. A little Perique of this, a little Cavendish of that...
That`s exactly what I was thinking but maybe 50% Latakia.
I can`t wait to get my first leaf order and start experimenting.
I only go through maybe 12 pound a year so with a 30 pound limit I can build my blenders dream.

Steve

stdly

The Sail Green gets better reviews than the Amphora but it has some flavoured Cavendish and I am not a fan.
It has mellowed a bit I think but still some case I don`t like. I guess the reviews were from people who enjoy aromatics.
Not terrible though.

Steve

tullius

IMG_20200523_031817685.jpgIMG_20200523_031842483.jpg

Remember these guys? They work great, get 50g back in case in a day or two, and are reuseable. Boil them for 15 minutes the first time, tap out most of the water and throw them in the pack or tin and close it up. Don't leave them for more than a couple days without checking the tobacco

After boiling the first time, always use distilled water. This goes for all humidifying agents, devices and methods.