Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

redxxxx1 Tobacco plants 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

plantdude

Nice plants. When you post pictures to the album it also includes metadata (i.e. camera settings and date taken) - just in case you ever need to double check your dates. That's some good growth for a month and a half(y)

redxxxx1

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself. Which tobacco varieties are you growing?
Bob
I live in Central New Hampshire,This is my 2nd year growing tobacco
Last year I bought 9 variety of seeds from 3 US sellers from Pennsylvania,Iowa and Tennessee.Grew 6 plants each of all 9 varieties ,bagged one of each for seed.
This year started seeds indoors March 2 on a heat pad under lights.Then into a cheap green house,with heater ,at the end of April,it got blown over by a late wet blizzard ,but I saved it. I planted 7 of the varieties ,20 of each,2 plants per hill 70 hill 140 plants
Varieties are
Harrow Velvet
Golden Burley
Kentucky 151
Tennessee Chew
Long Red
Virginia Brightleaf
Virginia Gold
I've already primed July 31 then picked once Aug. 12 ,tied and hung 12 sticks in my shed. The white burleys are coloring/curing fine ,Kentucky,Tennessee,and Long Red starting to turn color ,the Virginia's are turning color but the Virginia Gold has specks of almost black green.
I joined the forum to find out what the causes the blackish,green specks, I think it may be a combination of not quite mature enough,too cool at night and relative humidity has gone above 85 % to 93% in the early dawn hrs the past couple day.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I live in Central New Hampshire,This is my 2nd year growing tobacco
Last year I bought 9 variety of seeds from 3 US sellers from Pennsylvania,Iowa and Tennessee.Grew 6 plants each of all 9 varieties ,bagged one of each for seed.
This year started seeds indoors March 2 on a heat pad under lights.Then into a cheap green house,with heater ,at the end of April,it got blown over by a late wet blizzard ,but I saved it. I planted 7 of the varieties ,20 of each,2 plants per hill 70 hill 140 plants
Varieties are
Harrow Velvet
Golden Burley
Kentucky 151
Tennessee Chew
Long Red
Virginia Brightleaf
Virginia Gold
I've already primed July 31 then picked once Aug. 12 ,tied and hung 12 sticks in my shed. The white burleys are coloring/curing fine ,Kentucky,Tennessee,and Long Red starting to turn color ,the Virginia's are turning color but the Virginia Gold has specks of almost black green.
I joined the forum to find out what the causes the blackish,green specks, I think it may be a combination of not quite mature enough,too cool at night and relative humidity has gone above 85 % to 93% in the early dawn hrs the past couple day.

With humidity that high, mold is always a possibility but some photos of the leaf in question would be helpful. Following is some info on mold from the University of Kentucky with a few photos although the photos don’t show the entire range of colors of the different molds.

redxxxx1

With humidity that high, mold is always a possibility but some photos of the leaf in question would be helpful. Following is some info on mold from the University of Kentucky with a few photos although the photos don’t show the entire range of colors of the different molds.
089.JPG
I read that article this AM,it doesn't describe what I'm seeing,I think it may be thi beginning of pole burn
I just 088.JPG

redxxxx1

Last year the first stick i put up got pole burn,it sloughed right of the stick over night like rotten lettuce,it was rainy,muggy , and hot .

plantdude

Wow, blizzards in late April and first frost in early September... Makes me feel better about the heat and humidity in the south:)
It looks like you have a system down and know what you are doing.

redxxxx1

Wow, blizzards in late April and first frost in early September... Makes me feel better about the heat and humidity in the south:)
It looks like you have a system down and know what you are doing.
I figured it can be done, tobacco was grown in NH by the early settlers .I had seen an old map showing it was grown in the Connecticut river valley from Keene to Hanover West of me. the climate zone is 1 warmer than here.I still need to figure out the days of maturity and air curing abilities ,so far Virginia is not a good choice its too finicky. ,Burley may be the strain for me ,I'm going to find out,by cutting and hanging the whole plant.
Tobacco takes 90 to 120 days to mature after its transplanted and 60 to 90 days as a seedling That's 6-8 months,
If anyone knows of a chart or list of "day to maturity" of different tobacco strains please point me in that direction, I have not been able to find that information.

redxxxx1

today I got up a 2:30 am to 80%RH and 63 degrees F ,yesterday I cleaned my shed,removed all gas cans and flamables determined to run a chicken coop/bathroom heater hooked to a RH switch(i bought for oven curing) set to run until RH gets below 75 .It shuts off if it tips over too.It's running now ,the RH outside at is 93% and 57 degrees F at 4:48 AM,I got the temp going up and RH going down .007.JPG009.JPG looks like I'm going to lose some leaf off 2 sticks

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    742.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    430.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    473.7 KB · Views: 4

redxxxx1

today I got up a 2:30 am to 80%RH and 63 degrees F ,yesterday I cleaned my shed,removed all gas cans and flamables determined to run a chicken coop/bathroom heater hooked to a RH switch(i bought for oven curing) set to run until RH gets below 75 .It shuts off if it tips over too.It's running now ,the RH outside at is 93% and 57 degrees F at 4:48 AM,I got the temp going up and RH going down .View attachment 32443View attachment 32444 looks like I'm going to lose some leaf off 2 sticks
Just checked shed at 6:30 AM
Heater was switched OFF
Relative Humidity @ 67.1

Temperature @ 21 degrees C

69.8 Fahrenheit

There is possible wet weather forecast for the next couple of days ,so I'll be tending to keeping the humidity down.

I have still not grasped the physics of wet bulb / dry bulb relation to dew point relative humidity ,I'm going to work on comprehending it.
I have a Marks Engineering text book that explains it but it's difficult to understand.I'll search the site here to see what I can find. Thoroughly understanding what I'm doing with the instruments will help make me successful.010.JPG011.JPG013.JPG010.JPG011.JPG013.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.