Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

redxxxx1 Tobacco plants 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

plantdude

plantdude

Did you ever have much luck with your green leaves turning any browner in the sun?
I took a picture of two of mine (both sides), but left them in the the sun a day longer than I should have and over did them.
Green dry and crispy
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Rehydrated
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Two days after cooking in the hot AR sun after being moistened and placed in an open plastic bag. I usually get better results/less bleaching with one day.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Not a miracle cure by any means, but may help save a few borderline leaves for cigs or possibly pipe tobacco. Don't think I would want to do it for cigar tobacco though.

skychaser

Try smoking a few. I'll bet they still taste like lawn clippings. You may be able to bleach out some green in the sun but the chlorophyll is still there. I got some green leaves in m first year because I picked way too soon and dried them too fast. We all go through that learning curve so don't feel too bad about it. Now any green or partially green leaf goes straight into the compost bin. Pretty rare for me to see any these days once I learned what ripe looks like and how to color cure them properly.

redxxxx1

Did you ever have much luck with your green leaves turning any browner in the sun?
I took a picture of two of mine (both sides), but left them in the the sun a day longer than I should have and over did them.
Green dry and crispy
View attachment 32794View attachment 32795

Rehydrated
View attachment 32796View attachment 32797

Two days after cooking in the hot AR sun after being moistened and placed in an open plastic bag. I usually get better results/less bleaching with one day.
View attachment 32798View attachment 32799

Not a miracle cure by any means, but may help save a few borderline leaves for cigs or possibly pipe tobacco. Don't think I would want to do it for cigar tobacco though.
They're still greenish brown along the fatter part of the stem,I'll go thru them saving the tips.

redxxxx1

Took some pictures today

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    770.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    889 KB · Views: 13
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    895.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    968.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    815 KB · Views: 14
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    757.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    752.7 KB · Views: 12

plantdude

Try smoking a few. I'll bet they still taste like lawn clippings. You may be able to bleach out some green in the sun but the chlorophyll is still there. I got some green leaves in m first year because I picked way too soon and dried them too fast. We all go through that learning curve so don't feel too bad about it. Now any green or partially green leaf goes straight into the compost bin. Pretty rare for me to see any these days once I learned what ripe looks like and how to color cure them properly.
I've not tried sampling any of them yet. I'll have to try latter tonight.

plantdude

I've not tried sampling any of them yet. I'll have to try latter tonight.
Portions of leaves showed left to right. Tried some plain brown air cured staghorn that was about the same color as the ending color for the sun cured previously green dried leaf. Ok but not ready for real use. Tried fainter green bagged staghorn sun cured that turned brown middle leaf), not so great. Tried a little greener staghorn that turned slightly brown sun curing but still with some green, a bit more grass clippings flavored.
Afraid @skychaser is correct, the bagging and sun curing method was not enough to save most of the leaves that dry green. Still a bit of an off flavor to them even when they sun cure to brown. Maybe chewing tobacco...?
image.jpeg

redxxxx1

Attachments

• 50457_ages8948.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
  • document(2).pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 2
  • farmbul0523rev1947.pdf
    973.7 KB · Views: 1
  • farmbul0571rev1925.pdf
    981 KB · Views: 2
  • Glossary_of_Tobacco_Terms.pdf
    214.5 KB · Views: 1
  • PDF tobacco.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • post_harvest_curing conditions.pdf
    726.1 KB · Views: 2
  • tobacco_without_tears.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 7
  • TobaccoCuring study.pdf
    883.6 KB · Views: 3

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"The database is in the form of Lotus 1-2-3 (Release 2) worksheet files on MS-DOS and PC-DOS comparable, 5.25 inch diskette."

Hmmm. Lotus 1-2-3, MS-DOS, 5.25" diskette? That first attachment (a USDA report from 1990) seems a bit dated. Could you possibly add a note about each of the large pdf files that you've attached, that might help members decide whether or not each would be worth the effort of downloading just to see what they're about?

Bob

redxxxx1

History of tobacco ebook

Old tobacco PDF files

I've listed the actual Title/Content in the PDF files

50457_ages8948.pdf - Tobacco Background for 1990 Farm Legislation

document(2).pdf - USDA Tobacco Production Bulletin #245 Dec.,1961

farmbul0523rev1947.pdf - USDA Tobacco Curing Farm Bulletin #523 issued Feb.,1913 revised Oct. 1947

farmbul057rev1925.pdf - USDA Tobacco Culture Farm Bulletin #571 issued 1914 revised Aug.,1925

flue curing.pdf - Harvesting and Curing Flue Cured Tobacco Cooperative Extension Service,University of Georgia rev. 1993

Glossary_of_Tobacco_Terms.pdf - glossary of tobacco terminology

PDF tobacco.pdf - USDA The US Tobacco Industry, Agricultural Economic Report #589 Sept.,1988

post_harvest_curing_conditions.pdf(SECURED) - Phillip Morris USA Leaf Dept , Controlling Curing Conditions

tobacco_without_tears.pdf - For the Home Grower by Hugh Cuthbertson 1948

TobaccoCuringstudy.pdf - USDA Studies on the Fermentation of Tobacco Aug.,1934

ChinaVoodoo

This is interesting. I just opened one and started looking at charts.

In this one we see that production per acre went up during the 60s.
Screenshot_20200922-165924~2.png

In his one, we see that they use significantly less tobacco to make a cigarette than they did back in the day.
Screenshot_20200922-165906~2.png

redxxxx1

This is interesting. I just opened one and started looking at charts.

In this one we see that production per acre went up during the 60s.
View attachment 33401

In his one, we see that they use significantly less tobacco to make a cigarette than they did back in the day.
View attachment 33400
Yup, there is a lot of interesting and informative stuff ,the link to the e-book has information dating back to when tobacco was used as currency in Virginia

redxxxx1

I hung tobacco in the shed and green house to Color-cure for 35 to 45 days till stems almost dried,took it down on a cold wet day(in case),put in closed turkey bags in gas stove on 155F 2hrs morning , then 2hrs evening at 155F the time in between the pilot keeps oven temp 70-80,each time before turning temp up I heavily sprayed with spring water ,did this for 7-10 days. On the day i can it ,I pull most of the stem,then pack the jars with leaf put jars (without lids)it in oven at 165F for an hour,take hot jars out put lids on turn oven up to 210- 220F (212F boiling point)put jars in for 15 min.,takeout hot jars let cool and lids pop sealed.
This is all experimental ,but I have trust in the processes,If it gets moldy I'll post it up here.
I had picked some #2,#3(primings) too early it didn't color cure,and some #4 got moldy in the shed while other(strains) didn't

Status
Not open for further replies.