Regulating raw leaf tobacco in Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
A member in HTGT posted this link.

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/tax/tt/rawleaf.html

Do I need to register?

Once the exemption period is over, you will generally be required to hold a registration certificate with the ministry if you:

- produce (e.g., plant, harvest, cure or bale) raw leaf tobacco
- process (e.g., stem, thresh, or blend) raw leaf tobacco
- sell or buy raw leaf tobacco
- bring into or take out of Ontario (import/export) raw leaf tobacco
- transport raw leaf tobacco into or out of Ontario and are not already registered with the ministry as an inter- jurisdictional transporter

There's no mention if this regulation is for amateur growers but the statement below probably covers every case, even a single plant grower (theoretically).

How do I know if I produce raw leaf tobacco?

A person produces raw leaf tobacco if the person plants or grows tobacco plants or harvests, cures or bales the tobacco.

Enjoy your new regulation.

squeezyjohn

Oh blimey! Let's not draw too much attention to this ... it could be the beginning of the end for people like us in a great many countries around the world if it becomes big news!

Matty

I wouldn't worry about hobby growing 'round here, or neighboring Ontario. I'm sure over 100 people have seen my baccy garden this year and last. Nobody knows what it is until I tell them, and, nobody seems to care when they find out lol. Seems more like a power trip for the regulators than anything else.

DGBAMA

I would guess no problems, as long as you do not do it for profit.

If you did a thousand plants and were the only smoker in your family, red flags for sure.

cotillion

This was supposed to come into effect January 1, 2015 if I recall correctly. I don't know if the provincial election has delayed it or anything but I fully plan to grow again next year.

Matty

Yup, Jan 1st 2015. I wouldn't worry about it for hobby growing. I'm sure it's more for anyone thinking of making money off it. You know, if money is being made the government will be right there putting it's hands in yer pockets.

CT Tobaccoman

I wouldn't worry about hobby growing 'round here, or neighboring Ontario. I'm sure over 100 people have seen my baccy garden this year and last. Nobody knows what it is until I tell them, and, nobody seems to care when they find out lol. Seems more like a power trip for the regulators than anything else.

I told somebody my tobacco was "Siamese Cabbage." They believed it.

jojjas

That's a good one. Instead of kim chee, you make thai chee.
Ha ha , i told them who ask me what it was i am growing, it`s american spinach .
It`s not anyway illegal to grow baccy here in sweden , but i dont want to much attention to what i am growing

93rdCanadian

Here is some more information on how personal use is exempt from this new regulation.

Grow your own for personal use limit 15kg(33lbs)
Import of tobacco for personal use limit 3kg(6.6lbs) ie. you can still buy from WLT but each shipment must be under 3kg(6.6lbs) and I believe the maximum you can bring into the country in a year is 20kg but I can't seem to find the exact number again.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/source/regs/english/2014/elaws_src_regs_r14247_e.htm#BK5

Smokin Harley

Our neighbors are all old people (no offense).The only time my neighbors come out is when the old guy next door pulls his Triumph convertible out to stomp on the gas a while then take off for a 20 minute ride ,when it doesnt come back on a flatbed , back in the garage and back in hibernation he goes. Last time I offered him or his wife veggies when we had surplus , they both just smirked and said "we dont eat that stuff" they could care less what I plant . The guy behind me smokes so I doubt I'll ever have trouble from him , he'll probably be wanting some too. The rest we never see.

DGBAMA

Our neighbors are all old people (no offense).The only time my neighbors come out is when the old guy next door pulls his Triumph convertible out to stomp on the gas a while then take off for a 20 minute ride ,when it doesnt come back on a flatbed , back in the garage and back in hibernation he goes. Last time I offered him or his wife veggies when we had surplus , they both just smirked and said "we dont eat that stuff" they could care less what I plant . The guy behind me smokes so I doubt I'll ever have trouble from him , he'll probably be wanting some too. The rest we never see.
Quiet neighbors are the best kind.

AmaxB

Man that sucks ... I spent my whole day looking at remote property yesterday. No Zoning, No Building Permits, among other things and a minimum 50 acres it is hard to find but it is out there.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Here is some more information on how personal use is exempt from this new regulation.

Import of tobacco for personal use limit 3kg(6.6lbs) ie. you can still buy from WLT but each shipment must be under 3kg(6.6lbs) and I believe the maximum you can bring into the country in a year is 20kg but I can't seem to find the exact number again.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/source/regs/english/2014/elaws_src_regs_r14247_e.htm#BK5

Thank you for posting. This is very important and informative

romanko

I'm assuming the 15kg refers to dry weight?

Reading the new regulation, I didn't see the reference to "for each adult in the household" - does anyone know if that still applies?

re. importation of under 3lbs of WLT, does that mean it would be duty/tax free?

I'd like to order a pound or two to try something different - right now all I have to smoke is my Havana 608 from my first two grows, new strains from 2014 are still aging, but the last thing I want is to get on some AttemptedToImportContraband list at Canada customs.

thanks for the help!

burge

if you scroll down it says there is a personal excemption you are allowed to buy up to 4kgs of whole leaf and have it shipped the max personal possession is 16kgs. but only 3kgs can be shipped which makes me want to get some

Status
Not open for further replies.