Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Responsible Use of Rat Poison

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenDragon

As this is, in part, an agricultural website, and rats are garden and household pests, I thought it most appropriate to make this post here. (Mods please move if not)

Yesterday we rushed one of our cats to our Vet then to an Emergency Vet as he had been poisoned from eating rat bait from a neighbor's yard. He is currently still in the hospital after a transfusion and IV platelet drip and is expected to stay for several days if he pulls through. I'm afraid my final bill will be less than my first car.

I know it wasn't my yard as I don't use rat poison as it kills by causing internal bleeding and hemorrhaging; a slow painful death. I understand that this is a personal decision and I don't fault other's if they feel it is necessary to use in their situation. However, I just ask that if you do decide to use rat bait please do so using the exclusion devises (i.e. bait boxes) that are sold with the bait to prevent non-targeted species from getting to it (cats, dogs, etc.).

Thanks - Steve

(Drops mic, steps off soapbox)

CobGuy

Really sorry to hear that, Steve, and all the best to you and the family during his recovery.
I'm in the same camp as you ... no poison anywhere near my place for rodent, insects or anything else.

~Darin

ChinaVoodoo

Exclusion boxes allow rodents to eat the poison, then stagger temptingly out into the yard, where cats, hawks, etc. see it as an easy lunch.

Bob
Not all carrion is found. Not all cats eat the things they kill or find. The amount a rat can eat is less than that of a cat. The half-life of warfarin is 20-60 hours, and it may take 3 to 5 days for the rat to die. So, yes, use the boxes.

GreenDragon

Thanks to everyone for your concern and support! Koko is now home and seems to be recovering steadily. He’s got some pretty bad bruising and 3 of his legs were shaved for the transfusions etc, so he looks a little odd when he’s strolling around the house. He’s also super mad he’s not allowed outside anymore (see below).

CA68134A-1AFE-4481-9713-9DAC4966E5B8.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.