Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ripening and breaking of the leaf

roman1967

Tell me, the leaves begin to ripen after the tobacco blooms or may ripen earlier

Alpine

What strains are you growing?
It all depends on the specific strain. Some strains can have a few ripe leaves well ahead of blooming, while other obstinately refuse to show signs of maturity even weeks after topping.
White stemmed burleys begin to develop a yellow colour well before maturity, for example. Check www.northwoodseeds.com for very useful informations about specific strains.

pier

roman1967

I'm afraid that these varieties are not very familiar to you.
Virginia 202
Moldavian 456
Parliamentary hour
Anniversary

some of the lower leaves turn yellow, but I do not see any tuberosity on them, and the edges of the leaves do not bend down, as they write everywhere

Last edited:

ChinaVoodoo

Anniversary appears to be Jubilee

No idea what parliamentary hour is, but there's six of them. I did the search in Russian.

roman1967

No idea what parliamentary hour is, but there's six of them. I did the search in Russian.
thanks, I read this first thing

roman1967

Yes, Skychaser lists Moldovan between burleys, but having grown it, I can say that it tastes nothing like a burley. That’s why I asked if @roman1967 knows for sure what Moldovan is.

pier

I find it difficult to answer, I plant tobacco for the first time in my life in order to understand what I need to do for the next season, so I took the seeds in an ordinary flower shop, in the future I will buy here
https: //xn----7sbbaaeya4cnm8bt.xn--p1ai/index.php
Now I just want to understand how to correctly determine the technical maturity of the sheet
I wanted after collecting
1 first to languish until the leaf is enlightened
2 then dry in the attic of the house, that is, in the shade it turns out
3 then ferment in a cabinet, vacuum packed at 122 degrees Fahrenheit for 2-3 weeks

Last edited:

roman1967

Moldavskii does not look like a burley to me, although it still could be.

Bob

Moldavian 456

(SOVIET LARGE-LEAVED)
The variety bred in VITIM by V.N. Kosmodemyanskiy (1946). In terms of agrobiological properties, it is closest to Trapezondam, differing from them in sessile, larger leaves. Includes a small number of forms.
Morphological properties. Plants are vigorous with erect leaves, broadly oval or conical in shape. The stem is thick at the base. The leaves are light green in color, sessile, the leaf blade is oval-elongated, the apex is strongly pointed, the surface is smooth, the middle vein is wide and thick. The number of leaves is 30, the length of the leaf is 50 and more, see Biological properties. The variety is medium and late ripening, high-yielding. Some varieties are disease resistant.

The raw product is quickly poured out and easily dried, acquires a light yellow-orange color, skeletal type.

Variety type Trapezond

Old Asia Minor type. The initial focus of Trapezond's formation is the Black Sea coast of the Caucasus, Turkey.
Morphological signs. Medium and tall plants are cone-shaped and oval in shape with raised-protruding and arcuate curved leaves. The stem is of medium thickness. Inflorescences are corymbose or corymbose-paniculate, loose, large in size. The flowers are pale pink in color with a medium-sharp transition of the corolla tube into a funnel and a dissected limb. Leaves are bright green in color, petiolate, oval, oval-elliptical and elongated, with a thick midrib and smooth surface. The number of leaves ranges from 20 to 30, the leaves are large - 35-45 cm in length, the ratio of leaf length to width is 1.8: 2.

Biological properties. The variety is mid-season, drought-resistant, medium and high-yielding.

Raw product. Reddish-orange and yellow-orange color, increased strength, low aromaticity, skeletal type. It is used as a filling mass in cigarette and cigarette production.

As the tobacco culture of the Trapezond type advanced to areas more remote from the Black Sea coast, as a result of selection, new forms were created, which, with general similarity, also have significant differences. With regard to the Soviet Union, the Trapezond cultivar has the following cultivars - Beregovye, Kuban, Kakheti.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Trabzon (Trapezond) is in the same family as Samsun. So I would consider Moldavian 456 an "Oriental" or "Turkish" variety. It should sun-cure well.

For air-curing other varieties, the temperature and humidity in the shade should be cool and moist enough to allow the leaf to fully change color to brown, before it dries.

Bob

roman1967

Trabzon (Trapezond) is in the same family as Samsun. So I would consider Moldavian 456 an "Oriental" or "Turkish" variety. It should sun-cure well.

For air-curing other varieties, the temperature and humidity in the shade should be cool and moist enough to allow the leaf to fully change color to brown, before it dries.

Bob
Yes, thanks, I already roughly understood this, we call languor, the process before the final drying

You saw the photo above, I photographed the lower leaves there, otherwise I already have a lot of yellowed on some bushes and I don't understand if they have matured or they simply did not have enough food

On many leaves, the central vein is already white

roman1967

I haven’t found the “Parliamentary Hour” variety, it is quite possible that it does not exist at all, your search is the result of the word “hour”, I think that most likely these are illiterate sellers who put whatever they got into packages to make a profit

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
All of the lower leaves, except Virginia (the last photo), appear to be ready to harvest and cure. If you plan to flue-cure your Virginia, then those leaves shown are ready for flue-curing. If you plan to air-cure or sun-cure the Virginia, then I would wait until they show the thickening of the other leaf photos.

Bob