Whole Leaf Tobacco

Robcars flue curing thread

Robncars

I could use some clarification on wet/dry bulb thermometer. I'm getting some mixed results searching for them

ChinaVoodoo

I don't know when relative humidity meters came into existence, but without those, relative humidity was calculated by comparing the temperatures between a dry bulb and a wet bulb. A wet bulb is basically a thermometer where the bulb is wrapped in a wet piece of cloth. As water evaporates out of the cloth, it cools the bulb, causing it to have a lower reading than the dry bulb. The more humid the air, the less evaporation, and the closer the two readings. The drier the air, the more evaporation, and the greater the difference.

That said, you can flue cure using just a normal dry reading combined with a humidity meter/controller. Here is the one chart I know of that actually has relative humidity on it.

better-temp-humidity-schedule.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The way I do flue-curing (without a wet-bulb thermometer or a hygrometer) is to keep some water in my Crockpot (my heat source) during yellowing. This just prevents the leaf from drying instead of yellowing. Once mostly yellowed (but not entirely yellowed!), I remove the water. The yellowing phase is the only phase during which you can peek inside the chamber. After that, do not open the chamber until the flue-cure run has completed. Now the temperature (ignore the humidity) is ramped-up according to the chart. The only variation in the schedule is the time it takes to mostly yellow.

The fuss over humidity is necessary when you have a barn full of tobacco. You won't.

Bob

Robncars

The way I do flue-curing (without a wet-bulb thermometer or a hygrometer) is to keep some water in my Crockpot (my heat source) during yellowing. This just prevents the leaf from drying instead of yellowing. Once mostly yellowed (but not entirely yellowed!), I remove the water. The yellowing phase is the only phase during which you can peek inside the chamber. After that, do not open the chamber until the flue-cure run has completed. Now the temperature (ignore the humidity) is ramped-up according to the chart. The only variation in the schedule is the time it takes to mostly yellow.

The fuss over humidity is necessary when you have a barn full of tobacco. You won't.

Bob
Ok I understand now. And you are right. I just scored a Stainless Steel double door commercial fridge. So I'll be repurposing that.

Robncars

So I was considering using an oven I have, and running duct to the fridge. It would give me a temp control and a way to open the heat source but not the leaves chamber.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Check out the flue cure threads and the curing: other threads here. Great info.

Robncars

Check out the flue cure threads and the curing: other threads here. Great info.
I've been following through as I got time. Sometimes it's better to get direct answers. Sometimes I'm thick headed and have to have an answer specifically to understand it. Lol

Robncars

That thing held over six hundred leaves per load. Paraphrasing the movie ”Jaws” .... “You’re gonna need a bigger patch.” lol. That was a good find though, should make a great flue cure chamber. (y)
That's what I was hoping for. As this is my first grow I have to get 2 years in. I have 140 ish plants hope they all make it

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thank you
You are welcome.
Since you do plan to grow this season, it would be very helpful if you gave a general location in your profile. It will become especially important when you start asking curing questions and you get twenty different answers from twenty different locations around the world and maybe only one of them will have a similar climate. With a general location we can tailor our answers to your area, your climate, your conditions. Best for everyone. If you didn’t grow but only showed up to watch cigars being made, it wouldn‘t matter.

Robncars

You are welcome.
Since you do plan to grow this season, it would be very helpful if you gave a general location in your profile. It will become especially important when you start asking curing questions and you get twenty different answers from twenty different locations around the world and maybe only one of them will have a similar climate. With a general location we can tailor our answers to your area, your climate, your conditions. Best for everyone. If you didn’t grow but only showed up to watch cigars being made, it wouldn‘t matter.
I agree. I'm in North Dakota

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I agree. I'm in North Dakota
You have to change it in your profile so it shows up on every post. It currently shows US which covers a lot of ground. Click on your screen name on the top of bar. When that opens click account details and remove US and add general location. Mine says NE Alabama to narrow it down even further as topography and climate is different from south Alabama. If your state is pretty much the same over the whole state, just put in the state.