Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Robncars 2021 (and winter 2020) Grow

Cray Squirrel

Squirreled a lot!!
big fat oily heavy black mammoth for the win! lol I originally got my small stalk black mammoth seeds so my wife could roll up her medicine but also to make moist snuff. I hope it turns out well. There's a member on here that has a recipe that sounds amazingly close to copenhagen longcut that I am going to try as a base. While southern blend is my current fav, it's all about the longcut! lol
Sounds good.. I like the little yellow and Madole over Mammoth. Ought to grow all 3 so you can find out what you like. For sure there will be different flavors to each. Think about a good burley or 3 that will blend with the dark tobacco for the best taste, Am sure cope is fire cured and really smoky leaf. I have a good dip base recipe that you can use and adjust to your taste. Makes great dip for me. Eazy peazy, lemon squeezy.
Looking good Cray, I'm looking at growing some of the Dark Tobacco varieties this season. I usually do two grows a year, summer and Winter. Keep us posted on your progress.
Oldfella
2 grows a year sheesh,, ... Rotter... sticking tongue out at KiwiFellah

Homegrowngoodnes

Madole and little yellow. I assume they're also dark tobaccos? I already have seed for TN burley and standard burley. I also plan to acquire YTB and Harrow Velvet. I'm about running out of room so perhaps another time. I'm not sure if I can squeeze in another variety with the dozen I already have in mind.

Cray Squirrel

Squirreled a lot!!
Madole and little yellow. I assume they're also dark tobaccos? I already have seed for TN burley and standard burley. I also plan to acquire YTB and Harrow Velvet. I'm about running out of room so perhaps another time. I'm not sure if I can squeeze in another variety with the dozen I already have in mind.
Yellow twist bud and harrow are early to be smokable. Disappointed in Harrow Velvet I grew thus year. Very early sure but no weight, size or production. Very light wispy leaves. Grow heavy producers and kiln the stuff for a month. Plant some of each of the Hartow and ytb. You had room for what? 2,000 plants. Grow 200. Should be plenty to make momma some smokes, you some dip and plants left over to kill, maim, bug infest and cry over. Make sure you grow a bunch extra so you can fill in where some die before they get established. Just cause you have seed of something dont feel obliged to grow it. Waste of time and plant space.
I grew Tenn 86 this year..ho hum plant. Ask if other members like the flavor. Havent heard a lot about it except the commercial people plant lots of it.
One burley I grew surprised me. Green brier is a bit later and a lot heavier leaf. I really like golden burley, especially for a first time grow. Colors early, good grower and color cures easily.

Cray Squirrel

Squirreled a lot!!
I haven't verified it, but my guess would be the the biomes (growing zones) of Montana (higher latitude) and Colorado (higher altitude) are similar, and might be expected to predict comparable results with specific tobacco varieties.

Bob
Montana much colder. They also have the artic air masses that drop out of the gulf of Alaska and Canada when the jet stream dips. Colorado has many, inhospitable, to plants, areas that are mainly related to altitude but have fewer times when jet streams dip south. The high mountains block a lot of weather, cause moisture laden Pacific air to drop snow on them instead of further east thus creating a rain shadow, snow shadow if you will, where we have dry, high desert conditions with attendant ecosysyems.
Mountain valleys are protected from many extremes and are where the streams and rivers flow to irrigate our fields and farms. We have huge reservoirs that store a bunch of snowmelt water that acts as heat sinks to store heat and modify the winter temperatures and snowfall in an even more complex pattern.
There are several areas of Colorado that are at lower elevations, not even 5,000 ft that are considered "Banana belts". Much warmer, winter and summer. We're a dog's breakfast of climate zones here.
Seems that Spokane, Washington with their attributes are closer to my particular area.
My gf has a work assignment contract in Billings, Montana at the moment..

Cray Squirrel

Squirreled a lot!!
I plan on cutting the stalks and hanging them inside as soon as I can. Idk if it will work out or not.
Seems like the leaf would be killed by the brutal cold and the chlorophyll would be locked into it forever, green. I feel real lucky to have gotten ALL my leaf primed and now starting to yellow. Hope.the rest of the winter isn't as rough as this part looks.. last set of Green Brior burley leaf.
20211008_183024.jpg
Maybe if you baked the leaf, moist it would cook the chlorophyll so it would taste better, then make dip??

Cray Squirrel

Squirreled a lot!!
I froze some rustica leaves this year experimenting and the leaves air dried very black. Idk if they are any good but I ground them into flour and bagged them separately.
We don't know till we try..
Give her heck!
Yeah I get the leaf cured then grind into flour and bagged to be done and small storage area. Bone dry and no worry about mold.
We can grow bacca in short season, cool night areas but it's always a worry to get it ripened and harvested. I got really lucky this year but cant count on a late freeze every year and really dont want to build greenhouse for it. I got about 20 plus pounds dry so I'm good to go. Plenty to experiment with and gift the cousins..

Cray Squirrel

Squirreled a lot!!
View attachment 39611
Cut them down today and hung them in the house. Got the side eye from the wife. "Better not have any bugs"....
Good deal.. they didnt freeze hard.. have to make sure you have em hanging in a closet where you can control the humidity with the heater running these days. You got a chance now... her dang!!
PS. Yer wife is really smart...
I'm sorry... hehehe

Cray Squirrel

Squirreled a lot!!
look baby i got u flowers! ha!
You forgot.. Smart wife...
Wonder if Rob will get scars to go with the flowers? She already gave him the stink eye in the way only a wife can.. shudder....
I bet many of those green seed pods will mature even after cut so Rob can be the Johnny Appleseed of the Dakotas.... and southern Canada.. Mom will be so proud...

Cray Squirrel

Squirreled a lot!!
Don't worry about the bugs, I'd get the flowers off or you'll have seeds for miles. Then she might get cranky :cautious::cautious:
Oldfella
Yep. Millions and millions of seed that will continue to live and develop in the pods until they are fully brown..
Sounds like you were almost the Johny Tobacco of Kiwiland...