Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Robncars 2021 Flue Cure

Robncars

20210823_084038.jpg
Big Gem. Couple came out mottled.
20210823_084045.jpg20210823_084051.jpg
This is how I came up with to hang them in the flue chamber.
20210805_190340.jpg
Decent picture of the flue chamber getting loaded.
Thats a 30qt aluminum turkey pot in the bottom right. Needed to set the pot on the electric skillet but its above the leaves.

Robncars

I was really busy and I put the crockpot on to rehydrate the leaves in the flue after the run with staghorn and rustica. I left it on overnight 12hrs (fell asleep) instead of just 3-4 hrs. After setting the leaves in plastic boxes the rustica was pretty damp, after a night in the boxes at 123⁰ the staghorn also feels too damp.
The Small Stalk Black Mammoth and Big Gem both feel right so ill probably check them after a couple days but the other 2 ill have to open for a bit to dry them out

Pharmguy

Yep. It's that yellowing stage that varies with variety and priming level.

I’m currently on day 3 of a flue cure. I have 3 bundles hanging. One of them is almost completely yellow the other two seem to be yellowing slower. Should I bump up heat to next step or wait until all are yellow? This is my first flue cure so I’m not super familiar with hands on experience.

I added a circulation fan after the picture was taken.
Thanks,
Trevor

Attachments

• 6D90EF7B-F01E-4A77-B104-E4FF1F87FDC8.jpeg
    6D90EF7B-F01E-4A77-B104-E4FF1F87FDC8.jpeg
    653.2 KB · Views: 16

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
This is a sequence from 9 years ago.

Garden20170712_2830_flueCure_start_600.jpg

Garden20170714_2834_flueCure_45hours_600.jpg

Garden20170718_2874_flueCure_end_400.jpg

This final photo is the same batch, same date, but viewed in direct sunlight, instead of a flash.

Garden20170718_2877_flueCure_end_sunlight_500.jpg

Bob

Pharmguy

Got it. That answers that question. Next question, what do you do with cured leaves in between batches? I read, earlier in this thread, putting them in a box with paper is an option, but not great as it is better to immediately start kilning process. Is that correct? Eventually I’ll have a basic understanding of all this and won’t need to ask so many questions.
Thanks,
Trevor

Robncars

Got it. That answers that question. Next question, what do you do with cured leaves in between batches? I read, earlier in this thread, putting them in a box with paper is an option, but not great as it is better to immediately start kilning process. Is that correct? Eventually I’ll have a basic understanding of all this and won’t need to ask so many questions.
Thanks,
Trevor
In a box with paper was done to yellow leaves of differing varieties and priming levels. I use my flue chamber to force age after curing. I use tubs with a seal and hold them around 80% rh at 120-125⁰ for at least a month. They come out nice.
I then start destemming and grinding for chewing tobacco.
Don't worry I still ask questions. These guys are pretty patient with us lol.

Robncars

That appears to be a cigar. Were you flue-curing your cigar varieties?

Bob
Not specifically. More like I flue cured my leaf for chewing tobacco but I broke my foot and found that rolling cigars is relaxing to me. I dont smoke. So its like a party favor or gift or idk...

Its 4" long and 1" around. I used different leaves and different colors to see what I could come up with.

Robncars

I think your cigar looks good. I commend your rolling. The source of my question was the issue of flue-curing cigar variety tobaccos, since that usually doesn't taste very good when smoked. (You could, of course, just bite off a chunk, and chew it.)

Take care of your foot.

Bob
That was a good laugh @deluxestogie, I probably could bite off and chew on one and for a true cigar enthusiast thats probably the best use for that cigar lmao.

My brother tried one and a guy that comes to my work tried a couple and they liked them but my brother is uncultured swine and they other guy is a kid that wouldn't know a Cuban from a swisher so idk if they are any good but I like rolling them