Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Robncars 2022 Grow

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Alma-Ata 315 was developed in the Soviet Union (now Kazakhstan), where high nicotine levels were treasured. But don't trust everything you read in the ARS-GRIN data. This particular variety shows data from three different commercial growouts, with some wildly varying numbers for height and leaf size, etc. Nicotine depends on the fertilizer and growing conditions, and on whether or not the measured plant had been topped.

You get to find out. I would suggest planting it at about 9" spacing between plants, and to not top them. That is more of a traditional way of growing Oriental varieties, and will result in more floral leaf with lower nicotine (compared to wide spacing and topping).

Bob

Robncars

I'm trying to cultivate a cigar line this year, as well as chewing tobacco. (I haven't quite figured out the right term, its roughly like Copenhagen long cut except it isn't long I would call it dip myself).
I know Connecticut is the premier wrapper... but I thought I would try the Java basuki for my wrapper this year.
I was thinking the Alma Ata 315 for filler, maybe blend it

Last edited:

Robncars

Ok so I bought 2 seed heat mats to try to even out the temperature of the seed beds. They are 20x20 so you can put 2 1020 trays on 1 mat. Well I bought them 6 months ago and 1 doesn't work. Then last summer I ordered 10 clear domes. I left them in the shipping box so they wouldn't get damaged. Well what do you know but they are 10 1020 trays not clear domes. Ugh I should know better.....

Robncars

Thinning and moving all 4 but the Java basuki has a good root system so I'm afraid it will be root bound before transplant. I don't believe I have the resources/room to put them in bigger pots, too cold still outside, no big greenhouse yet so my room greenhouse is where they are.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
There is a tradition among hobby growers of all sorts of plants to progressively re-pot their plants, like buying new shoes for your growing children. There is a long necessity among commercial tobacco growers of just making do with maintaining their seedlings in the original float tray until it goes into the dirt outside.

I see what you were concerned about with the long Besuki root. (I had not meant to suggest that you uproot a seedling, simply for a photo of its root structure, but it should recover.) I would just continue with your 72-cell trays for this season, and consider changing to a 48-cell tray for next year. Tobacco roots will expand dramatically, once they are transplanted to the field.

What I do fuss over, with my own seedlings, is clipping the leaves (not the growth tip of the stalk) when they begin to shade their neighbors. You'll likely need to do that in a week or two.

Bob