Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Robncars Dip Tobacco trials

ArizonaDave

The poison in tobacco is the alkaloid called nicotine. Stems, when properly cured, burn well. Stems generally contain lower levels of nicotine than the leaf lamina. Stems, rather than lamina, are used in pesticide manufacture, because stems are otherwise often discarded as trash.

Stems are a nuisance for making cigars, because they poke holes, can be difficult to clip, and can poke your tongue. Stems are routinely ground as a component of snus. Stems in some form are included in some chew recipes. (The sample chew recipe from UKy had 5.8% stems by weight of finished blend, or roughly 10% of the dry tobacco weight.) Stems are "expanded" (vacuum puffed, like puffed wheat breakfast cereal) then rolled flat and shredded for blending into commercial cigarette filler.

Bob
A few years back, I took all my dark air scraps (dried) and ground it into a powder, then used a metal strainer to remove stems. All that was left was powder. I have around 4 pounds of this stuff for an emergency, and for experiments. The best mix was a rum/vanilla re-dried, which can be used dried or re-moisturized. The dark air has a natural raisin flavor, so use your imagination. I have another idea I haven't tried yet is using a brazilian seed called Diamantia. It has the highest nicotine content. It could make for a better, inconspicuous carry type dip.

Another thing I did, which I like, is making your favorite sized cigar, and cutting them with cigar cutter into circles. You can put them in a 2'X 3" zip lock baggies, that don't wear out one's pockets into dip sized circle patterns.

I think it's great that you are on your way of making something that works best for you.

Robncars

A few years back, I took all my dark air scraps (dried) and ground it into a powder, then used a metal strainer to remove stems. All that was left was powder. I have around 4 pounds of this stuff for an emergency, and for experiments. The best mix was a rum/vanilla re-dried, which can be used dried or re-moisturized. The dark air has a natural raisin flavor, so use your imagination. I have another idea I haven't tried yet is using a brazilian seed called Diamantia. It has the highest nicotine content. It could make for a better, inconspicuous carry type dip.

Another thing I did, which I like, is making your favorite sized cigar, and cutting them with cigar cutter into circles. You can put them in a 2'X 3" zip lock baggies, that don't wear out one's pockets into dip sized circle patterns.

I think it's great that you are on your way of making something that works best for you.
I was considering getting a used oak rum/whiskey/wine barrel- maybe a 5-10 gal cask, to age and ferment dip in. I see them for about $200.

ArizonaDave

I
I was considering getting a used oak rum/whiskey/wine barrel- maybe a 5-10 gal cask, to age and ferment dip in. I see them for about $200.
I went through all my stored tobacco totes in the garage. (it's in sealed bags or boxes, etc) Wow, I had forgotten that I had some leaf in a cedar lined cigar box, so I pulled it out and "tasted" a half leaf :) It tastes like spanish cedar. If I had to guess, it's been in there about 5 to 7 years. I'm thinking that type of aging would be great in a cigar, and a lot less for dip?

Robncars

I

I went through all my stored tobacco totes in the garage. (it's in sealed bags or boxes, etc) Wow, I had forgotten that I had some leaf in a cedar lined cigar box, so I pulled it out and "tasted" a half leaf :) It tastes like spanish cedar. If I had to guess, it's been in there about 5 to 7 years. I'm thinking that type of aging would be great in a cigar, and a lot less for dip?

Ok so here is my thought process.
If you age individual leaf in your cigar box it will pick up exactly whatever flavor you have in there. Such as Spanish cedar. But if you take a (well used) (whiskey, wine, rum,etc) cask and fill it with dip and leave it to ferment you catch a hint of the oak soaked wine (or whiskey, whatever you use) in your dip. I absolutely wouldn't like a heavy alcohol taste. (Copenhagen black is terrible) A glimmer of it would be nice though. I found a barrel that was apple brandy and then apple cider vinegar and was (out of stock but) for sale. Intrigued me.
As for aging dip it seems there is a fine line on aging. You go to the store you want fresh. You put it in the freezer to keep it that way. Where do you stop aging it. Last I knew stores kept snuff overstock in coolers (big refrigerator). So as I understand commercial is force fermented then packaged and shipped no real aging. For us smaller guys you can force the ferment or let it happen. Force ferment has worked for me but I'm trying to let it ferment now too. Maybe a better dip.

As for leaving it in any box or permeable container tobacco will soak up the flavors around it.

Robncars

Re reading my thread i would add I have no idea the effect aging a leaf 7 years would have on making dip. My guess would be a lot less than with a cigar. Once I've cooked my leaves into dip there is only little variation on taste. I have to be careful to mix the rustica in thoroughly or a pinch can hit pretty hard....