Whole Leaf Tobacco

Rolling papers

Muggs

Hope I put this in the right spot.
I started learning to grow an produce my own smoke to stop paying the Big Corporation an IRS.
I grow my own Foods an Harvest my own meats.
I started learning to produce cigars an pipe tobacco,to get away from having to buy Rolling Papers.
Looking back in history don't find much on how the old timers made they're own CIGARETTE Papers.or what they used for papers to rolls cigarette?
Any Ideas
Thanks

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Although the ancient Maya are know to have smoked tobacco rolled in corn husk, tied with strings, the cigarette is pretty much an industrial creation of the mid to late 19th century. Old timers rolled cigars or smoked a pipe.

Bob

OldDinosaurWesH

James Albert Bonsack (1859 - 1924) invented the automated cigarette rolling machine in 1880. James Buchanan Duke (1856 - 1925) as in Duke University, obtained the first license to use the automated cigarette making machine and made himself the equivalent of a modern day Billionaire using the cigarette machine. Duke was what we would call today a "Robber Baron".

According to Wikipedia, the earliest know use of cigarette papers go back to Spain in the year 1532. The modern rice paper type cigarette papers didn't really appear until the 1880's.

Cigarette papers are regulated by the FDA (since 2012) and the composition of manufactured papers must conform to the government's specifications.

Wes H.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with most modern, non-cigarette paper (e.g. copy paper, printer paper, tablet paper) is that a certain clay content is added to the pulp, to improve the finish and brightness. Probably the purest cheap paper that you can find is the dingy, off-white newsprint that is used for packing. It's not pretty, but it's really inexpensive, and is almost entirely wood fiber.

Bob