Whole Leaf Tobacco

Sandra from New Orleans

Carrotsandwich

Hi. I am Sandra, and I live in New Orleans, Louisiana. I have been a smoker since 2000, on and off. I have been rolling my own since 2013. Peter Stokkebye Danish Export, or London Export, or Amsterdam Shag usually are my selections. Danish export more recently in years. I am now seeking alternatives for quality, cost and without chemicals. My local smoke shops are closed until further notice. I am interested in trying whole leaf tobacco and grinding it at home; fine enough for hand rolling. I believe in the process of rolling each one fresh. I add lemon balm, raspberry leaf, green sage, mugwort, rose petals, and peppermint and catnip to the blend. I love Elements brand rice papers 1&1/4, or Juicy Jay's flavored hemp paper and Raw's brand of slim cotton filters.

Any recommendations on where to start with choosing the right whole leaf tobacco and the recommended tobacco grinder greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

tullius

Welcome.

Have you tried a proper tobacco shredder for cigs? This one is reasonably priced: easier than a grinder, less dust, and you'll get a better burn and a real cherry. I personally like a 70/30 blend of red flue cured virginia and katerini or 80/20 rfcv and prilep whole leaf from WLT.

Hope that helps and say hi to Parasol's for me.

MarcL

Welcome to Fair Trade Tobacco. your in the right place..

waikikigun

Hi. I am Sandra, and I live in New Orleans, Louisiana. I have been a smoker since 2000, on and off. I have been rolling my own since 2013. Peter Stokkebye Danish Export, or London Export, or Amsterdam Shag usually are my selections. Danish export more recently in years. I am now seeking alternatives for quality, cost and without chemicals. My local smoke shops are closed until further notice. I am interested in trying whole leaf tobacco and grinding it at home; fine enough for hand rolling. I believe in the process of rolling each one fresh. I add lemon balm, raspberry leaf, green sage, mugwort, rose petals, and peppermint and catnip to the blend. I love Elements brand rice papers 1&1/4, or Juicy Jay's flavored hemp paper and Raw's brand of slim cotton filters.

Any recommendations on where to start with choosing the right whole leaf tobacco and the recommended tobacco grinder greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Hi, Sandra. That's great, as a tourist I love New Orleans. Been there 5 times in the last 6 years. Sorry things are so bad there right now with the coronavirus. Sounds like you do some great things with your rolls. I'd offer some ideas but I don't know anything about ground tobacco since I only roll cigars.

MarcL

Some things to consider are the ready blends that could give you some smaller amounts to sample with.
Looking at what your past choices have been, as far as continent in them, it would be a safe bet I'd say to go with lbs if that's your course.
I believe you meant to say shred is stead of grind as far as terminology looking at your past choices. There are other ways to shred like cutting coins.
Things to look forward to with whole leaf are de-stemming the mid-rid, along with a little more of some prep you may not be used to.
You will be well rewarded with the quality purity only found through whole leaf. The American Spirit Brand would come the closes to it.
Ask anything. Help is here for you.

Charly

Welcome to FTT.
Whole Leaf Tobacco has some nice blending kits, I a sure you will find what you are searching for ;)

Hugh

I continue to cut using a sharpened Chef's knife & cutting-board. A sharp Chef's knife means using a rod to sharpen often.
First, strip the leaf from the center rib, then roll the leaf into a plug.
If you like Halfware as i think you do, you'll need to buy Kentucky Fire-cured Leaf & Virginia leaf.
Best of Luck!

Bigdog

Hi, welcome!

I would buy a heavy duty 0.8mm shredder from WLT, these things last very long and will pay for itself in savings.
You flavour pretty heavy, so I would buy one of the bulk cigarette tobacco packs in WLT that sounds more or less like what you are used to.

So this is going to put you back anything from $570-670, but you can save up for the next round and you will have top quality smokes for very little effort at a rock bottom price.

Educate yourself on caring for your tobacco to reduce the risk of mold and other loss, this is not difficult.

That is it, you have all you need right here on this site.

Enjoy the ride!