Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Seco & Viso Binders

Kikiri

Hi guys, my regards, before launching this question I checked the different topics on the forums and could not find a precise answer, I have heard a lot about seco or viso binders, including seco and viso wrappers, this leaves me with doubt if they are used as binders, could someone clarify for me, thanks in advance.

MarcL

I do it almost all the time. You may find me to have said something in the order of sticking to an assigned designation as far as positioning is not stagnant. It really, to me has to do with the leaf in that cigar. The competition has some wording of there own it seems. They'll say it has to do with the name given by the seller/grower. Same with wlt.

Kikiri

I do it almost all the time. You may find me to have said something in the order of sticking to an assigned designation as far as positioning is not stagnant. It really, to me has to do with the leaf in that cigar. The competition has some wording of there own it seems. They'll say it has to do with the name given by the seller/grower. Same with wlt.
Excuse me MarcL,,but I still do not understand, let's see if I explain myself, there is a denomination called Banda seco Estelí, Banda seco Jalapa and Banda seco Condega, also from Viso passing through the same variety of leaves ,,, they are the same leaves that they use for the filler but without the process for it and they were left for binder ,, it would be good to know if someone has used them and their good and bad benefits,,,greetings

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hi guys, my regards, before launching this question I checked the different topics on the forums and could not find a precise answer, I have heard a lot about seco or viso binders, including seco and viso wrappers, this leaves me with doubt if they are used as binders, could someone clarify for me, thanks in advance.

Do you grow your own tobacco or do you purchase seco, viso, ligero, binder, wrapper?

When I grow cigar varieties, if the leaf has no holes from insects, tears or damage, I save it as a wrapper quality leaf. If there are only a few small nicks or small insect holes, I use it for wrapper. The filler is separated by leaf position, seco, viso, ligero. Perfect leaf, even from varieties classed as filler leaf, make good wrapper or binder if they have very little damage or insect holes.

https://personalblends.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F65128123538 View: https://personalblends.tumblr.com/post/65128123538/liger-viso-and-seco-lvs/amp

If I purchase cigar leaf from www.wholeleaftobacco.com, I will go through my seco and thinner viso leaves and pull out perfect leaves to use for wrapper leaf, provided there are no tears or rips. Slight damage I will use for binder. This saves me money because leaf graded and classed as binder or wrapper are more expensive than filler. I can get a few to several leaves of binder or wrapper from my less expensive filler leaves. Wrapper is also more expensive than binder so if I find a perfect leaf in my bag of binder, I will use it for wrapper to save money. Some fillers are not sold or advertised as binder or wrapper, so this also gives me more flavor options for mixing and sampling flavors to create my own unique blends.

Kikiri

Do you grow your own tobacco or do you purchase seco, viso, ligero, binder, wrapper?

When I grow cigar varieties, if the leaf has no holes from insects, tears or damage, I save it as a wrapper quality leaf. If there are only a few small nicks or small insect holes, I use it for wrapper. The filler is separated by leaf position, seco, viso, ligero. Perfect leaf, even from varieties classed as filler leaf, make good wrapper or binder if they have very little damage or insect holes.

https://personalblends.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F65128123538 View: https://personalblends.tumblr.com/post/65128123538/liger-viso-and-seco-lvs/amp

If I purchase cigar leaf from www.wholeleaftobacco.com, I will go through my seco and thinner viso leaves and pull out perfect leaves to use for wrapper leaf, provided there are no tears or rips. Slight damage I will use for binder. This saves me money because leaf graded and classed as binder or wrapper are more expensive than filler. I can get a few to several leaves of binder or wrapper from my less expensive filler leaves. Wrapper is also more expensive than binder so if I find a perfect leaf in my bag of binder, I will use it for wrapper to save money. Some fillers are not sold or advertised as binder or wrapper, so this also gives me more flavor options for mixing and sampling flavors to create my own unique blends.
ok, now I understand, thank you, however you mention that they are cheaper, but I have heard that the flavor you achieve with them makes a good difference, for someone looking for a flavor beyond that is a good option, I think
Thanks Knucklehead

Kikiri

Happy Sunday guys, I hope you enjoy it with the Cigar set aside for today (and that there is no disappointment) I want to ask you about Binders with dry or viscous denomination, do these leaves have the flavor characteristics of the same ones used in blending? I imagine they add something to the flavor as well.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It is worth keeping in mind that "wrapper", "binder", and "filler" are grades of leaf based on their degree of intactness and their vein angle. As a home grower, I harvest all my cigar leaf the same way, color-cure it the same way, kiln (ferment) it the same way, age it the same way, then use any of it however I choose. Some designated varieties of tobacco that are named as "wrapper", such as Sumatra, Besuki, Ecuador Sumatra and Cameroon, are not as richly flavorful as other varieties. But CT Broadleaf, any Pennsylvania variety and any Habano variety are wonderfully flavorful.

Bob