Whole Leaf Tobacco

Seedlings beginning to yellow

Deano

G'day everyone!

I'm about 2 weeks in and noticed that some of my seedlings have started to yellow or go pale green..

Growing in a dome and temperatures are about 24 degrees (I live in New Zealand)

One side appears to be ok, but the other is all pale....

Anyone had this before or know how to get them back to healthy?

Thanks again in advacnce!

Attachments

Alpine

Overwatering is the most common cause. Also, is the soil suited for the task (I.e. lightly fertilized, sterilized and sifted). Are the domes in full sun? Full sun can burn young seedlings...
At this stage, you can try to transplant some of the healthier seedlings in individual posts. Water from below and only when needed. Avoid full sun, but keep the babies in a well lit area.
And keep us updated, seeing some green makes us in the northern emisphere happier ( it’s snowing while I type this).

pier

Deano

Overwatering is the most common cause. Also, is the soil suited for the task (I.e. lightly fertilized, sterilized and sifted). Are the domes in full sun? Full sun can burn young seedlings...
At this stage, you can try to transplant some of the healthier seedlings in individual posts. Water from below and only when needed. Avoid full sun, but keep the babies in a well lit area.
And keep us updated, seeing some green makes us in the northern emisphere happier ( it’s snowing while I type this).

pier
Thank mate, I will give that a go right now.... Sorry to hear its cold where you are... Ive attached a photo of sunny nz to warm the northern hemisphere bones

Attachments

Deano

Lush as!

Would you guys recommend wetting potting soil from the base before putting seeds in?

I'm going to try another tray of seeds and see if they go any better

Last edited by a moderator:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When I germinate my seed, I begin by adding water to the germination jar of soil. I sprinkle the seed onto the surface, then spray a light mist onto it, to settle the seed. The lid goes on, until the seed germinates.

For growing individual seedlings, I add water to the base of a 1020 tray. So the soil in the tray inserts initially draws water from below. An individual seedling is transferred into each cell of the tray insert. This tiny seedling is then settled into the soil using a mist of water.

Other than this, all my watering is into the 1020 tray base, not from the top. By inserting a wooden tag (a labeled Popsicle stick) into each group of cells, I can actually see the water content of the soil reflected in the wicking of water by the wooden stick.

Bob

Alpine

My suggestion about overwatering was because I saw Deano's Popsicle sticks in his pics. That’s a smart and simple method to have watering under control.

pier

Hi Deano I'd also suggest you have been too generous with the watering. I just used a garden hand spray to water my seedlings every day if the soil surface was dry. I suspect your climate is similar to my southern hemisphere location so there's no need for the dome now. If there's any chance of frost just take them in at night.