Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Show us your homemade pipes!

piping_presbyter

A pretty weird shape, but comfy in the hand, this is my third pipe and certainly the least thought out. I ran into some pitting on the side and determined to do an alpha-omega motif. Back in school, I did four years of Greek. Now it’s all Greek to me.

273ED84B-D643-4756-AB0B-11B8A93F634A.jpeg017E3E47-72A4-45BB-8640-D07A3E8F7CC3.jpeg

Radagast

Th
The oak pipe is lovely. You posted it back in January. So...how's it smoke?
Thanks Bob! Apologies, I didn't notice your question for a while. It smokes really well in the chamber and draws nicely I seem to have done a decent job of that. It caked up almost right away with a little honey. The only problem is a split in the mortise. I cut it a bit small with little room for fitting a nice stem unfortunately, so I have been using a hollowed out stick until I figure out what to do about it. And because I'm worried about ruining it I don't smoke it often. Only when I'm trying to come up with a remedy. Suggestions are welcome..
Pics soon
20211024_121649~2.jpg20211024_121804.jpg

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Very handsome spalted maple bowl. If you find any leaking pinholes, or that the wood itself burns, you can mix a spackle of 50:50 plaster of Paris and fine sand, and create a durable, thin, fireproof lining for the interior of the bowl. Although that's easy to do, I wouldn't bother unless you encounter a problem.

Bob

skychaser

My first attempt. I cut a section off a maple branch I felled last winter and drilled it out to half an inch then whittled it out til I was happy with it. The stem is a piece of ash I poked the pith out of with some wire.

View attachment 40111
Ahh, I mighty Maple tree. Good for syrup or pipes. You are making the most of your trees. :) I have a coffee table and two end tables made from 2" thick slabs of Maple cut many years ago. What did you make from the Tulip Popular you cut? That was some very pretty wood.

Amberbeth84

Ahh, I mighty Maple tree. Good for syrup or pipes. You are making the most of your trees. :) I have a coffee table and two end tables made from 2" thick slabs of Maple cut many years ago. What did you make from the Tulip Popular you cut? That was some very pretty wood.

We ended up using the wood to build a new back deck. It's rather rough and rustic, but I love the look of it, personally. I'll get some pictures of it tomorrow.

Amberbeth84

We ended up using the wood to build a new back deck. It's rather rough and rustic, but I love the look of it, personally. I'll get some pictures of it tomorrow.

20211218_133938.jpg20211218_133930.jpg20211218_132947.jpg

You'll have to excuse the mess. I've been busy with a lot of projects and just couldn't be bothered to clean up the deck too well. The green tarp is temporary. The clutch on my chainsaw broke before I could finish milling rafters for the roof. The sidewalls give us a bit of a wind and rain block and the open side faces the side of the house where we have a screen for a projector. Wear enough layers and sit in a sleeping bag and it makes for a tolerable winter smoking solution as we don't smoke in the house. It's functional if not pretty.

Getting back on topic, here's my first attempt at a poker type pipe.

20211218_134730.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The deck is nicely done. Your electrician must have done my front porch as well. (I always remember to unplug it at the indoor socket whenever I go in for the day.) My preferred view is looking away from my house. My eldest brother set up a net-house on his rear deck, for mosquito deterrence, but his (adult) daughter calls it the nuthouse--it keeps everybody jammed into everybody else's face. I would vote for your solution, with DEET in the summer.

Bob

skychaser

I have built everything from furniture to houses with wood. Got a whole shop full of tools. A lot of the window boxes, trims, base mouldings, shelves, and cupboard doors, in my house were made from a big popular a wind storm took down. And I have furniture made from birch and maple I cut. I have even built a few of my telescope mounts from reclaimed 130 year old pine. I installed doors, cabinets and all the trims in custom houses for many years. I did some custom made stair banisters that were worth more than I am. So I can safely say that I have a bit of experience in wood working. But I can't for the life of me figure out how you people are hallowing out the centers of such small branches for pipe stems. Some are even curved. Are you drilling them out? Seems to me that would be very difficult to do. Just when I thought I knew it all! lol I would love to have some of that Tulip wood to make something with.

If I recall correctly, that Knucklehead guy who hangs out here is a bit of a wood working artist himself. I remember some gun stocks that were absolutely beautiful. :)

Amberbeth84

But I can't for the life of me figure out how you people are hallowing out the centers of such small branches for pipe stems. Some are even curved.

I'm using small diameter ash twigs. They have such a soft pith in the center that all it takes is a bit of electric fence wire, a pair of pliers, and a little bit of elbow grease to poke out the pith, leaving me with a hollow tube perfect for a stem.

skychaser

Ok. That makes sense. With most wood the heart wood at the center is the hardest. I've got to tip my hat to you pipe makers here. Some are real works of art. And I like the rustic back woods looking ones too. Wood carving is something I never learned. I tried to carve a duck decoy once out of Cedar. The best thing I can say about that is that it did float. :/