Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Sigges first grow (cigar tobacco in greenhouse)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigge

My project started 5 week ago by starting the seeds. My strains are:

TA61 Havana long leaf x 12
TA70 CT broadleaf x 12
TA86 Cuban criollo x 12
TA89 Habana 2000 x12

Plus four mysteries, I got gredy when removing extras from the tray I think Ill leave these at my home so I can have little someting here also.

15878283402792528600832075491955.jpg

Im gonna transfer these in greenhouse as the weather gets warmer. Its still minus celsius at nighttime. I think in two weeks Ill be able to do that.

IMG_20200419_142107.jpg

My growing site at front. I have allready dug holes about 50 cm deep (a foot and half) and filled the holes with dirt. My sister (in the picture) takes care of edibles while I grow only tobacco.

We are really lucky because our grandfather is a retired gardener and gave us his greenhouse to use in our hobby. He is super excited of the project, as he is 91 years old and has not really grown any flowers for a long time, except for the grapevine showing in the picture. Its his precious.

Now im wondering, should I make a little shade for wrapper tobaccos? Intensity of light isnt that high in Finland plus the walls of greenhouse take some radiation away so maybe I can manage without.

L

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Your Habano 2000 would be the only one suitable for shade growing. Typical shade cloth for shade-grown tobacco is 40% shade. Given the shading from the greenhouse covering, maybe 25-30% shade would do the job. Shade-grown plants may need to be supported by wires suspended from the roof.

Bob

Sigge

Your Habano 2000 would be the only one suitable for shade growing. Typical shade cloth for shade-grown tobacco is 40% shade. Given the shading from the greenhouse covering, maybe 25-30% shade would do the job. Shade-grown plants may need to be supported by wires suspended from the roof.

Bob

I thought about this and came to conclusion that if I do this growing thing, its same to do it properly. Shades it is.

Thanks for advice, I'll make some kind of supporters also.

L

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Clipety clip. The stems are really thin close to dirt, hope this helps.
View attachment 30255

When do you plan to plant? Hardening off the plants may help with the stalk as well as the clipping you did. A couple of weeks before planting begin moving your plants into full sun just a little bit to start and then more each day. Stop watering them about a week before planting.

Sigge

I was thinking about planting them next weekend. I may have to wait another week as I havent been able to acclimate the plants, it has been so cold for a week now. Actually got some snow this morning, basic first-of-may weather :rolleyes:

Didnt know about the non watering part, I'll do that. Thanks!

Edit.
Aaaaaaaand its snowing again.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
If they go straight from inside to full sun outside, they can sunburn. They have to gradually get used to being outside. Going without water for a week is part of the “hardening” process, they get used to being deprived of water and makes them tougher. It also prepares them to go outside where it may be several days or weeks before it rains. It part of the process. Gradually introduce them to the changes they will see outside to prevent shocking them. Tobacco can do surprisingly well with very little water, but they don’t do well with wet feet. Inside the greenhouse, fight the urge to over water. My tobacco survived a drought so bad that grass and trees were dying, but it barely fazed the tobacco. Too much water is bad.

Sigge

Transplant day!

Not much has happened since last update. Occasional watering, clipping and watching the plants grow.

The tobaccos had been without water for 5 days prior to transplant. Added the 2 cups of water per plant.
I'm so thrilled!

IMG_20200509_200917.jpg

IMG_20200509_194731.jpg

I also made a little shade to 4 of my Habano 2000s.
Shade cloth provides 30 percent shade.

I also brought a heater wirh thermostat in case of frost so my preciouses wont freeze over.

IMG_20200509_200905.jpg

We also pruned the grape. Its looking much better now. Full of flower clusters.

IMG_20200509_201026.jpg

I hope my plants go well with the transplant. Looking good so far!

L

Attachments

• IMG_20200509_194540.jpg
    IMG_20200509_194540.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Sigge

Update, 3 weeks after the transplant.

IMG_20200606_221312.jpg

Thing are looking pretty good so far, except for few ones that have not grown all that well.

I suspect it is because of root damage caused by transplanting and hopefully they will eventually catch the others.

IMG_20200606_221226.jpg

Looks pretty damn good to me, no problems with any bugs or diseases so far. Let us hope that it will continue that way also.

The leaves are healthy green and biggest ones are about the size of my palm. Not much vertical growth, I think it is an indication of sufficcient light condition?

IMG_20200606_221328.jpg

Some size comparizon between habano 2000's

IMG_20200606_221028.jpg

I have not given any extra nutrients for the plant this far. May have to condider about it if the growth stalls.

L

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The plants look happy. I don’t see any signs of stress, they are green and healthy, they are not spindly and they don’t seem to be reaching for light. Perhaps the growth is still occurring underground as the roots continue to spread. The roots are getting ready to support those massive plants. They should shoot up soon. Hang in there. (y)

Sigge

Defcon 3!

Today I went to check my plants. I noticed some wilting on 2 of my plants:

IMG_20200617_130052.jpg

IMG_20200617_130045.jpg

Other than this, the plants have been growing really well. I'm not super worried but I'll look closely for any new possible symptoms.

I tried the disease photobank but did not find matches yet. I hope these are just mechanical damage but let us see..

L

Sigge

Update 20.7.2020

Well, it is looking like I'm gonna get some tobacco.

Knucklehead, you were right. The baccys really shot up soon after your comment.

IMG_20200720_215717.jpg

Longest one is about 11 feet high now (I'm 192 cm). It is 73 days since the transplanting and the biggest ones are flowering. Tomorrow I'm gonna work with these.

The growth has been so vigorous that the stalks cant bear the weight anymore. I'll have to 1. Make supports for the baccys and 2. Cut all the extra stuff away apart for one that I make more seed with.

Size variance is just getting bigger. Most of the plants are still 4 to 5 feet and bush-like with very little stalk when these tallest ones are like beanstalks

IMG_20200720_220019.jpg

It is quite a jungle here, I should have made more room for the plants. Well, at least the growth rate seems still pretty ok, even with this tight spacing.

Still no problems with any bugs or diseases. I'm super lucky considering there are also potatoes and tomatoes in the same greenhouse. Kind of asking for trouble haha.

I have been neglecting my baccys for three weeks now. I was in the north fishing. Tomorrow is gonna be a work day at the greenhouse.

IMG_20200715_121922.jpg

IMG_20200711_222849.jpg

L

Status
Not open for further replies.