Whole Leaf Tobacco

Some Clues About Early Budding

plantdude

A.t. does have several advantages over N.t. as a research specimen. As @plantdude noted, it has a simpler genome, a shorter life cycle (allowing for more generations per year), and most importantly, much smaller space requirements. I never liked working with it though.
We worked on Arabidopsis thaliana ecotype Wassilewskija - which is the miniature wimpy version of A. thaliana. To make matters worse most of what we worked on were temperature sensitive mutants and would begin to wilt shortly after being taken out of the cold growth chamber. Trying to make crosses with those under the dissecting scope was always an adventure. I don't miss it.

plantdude

Tetraploid is double the pleasure, double the fun.

Here's a few pics of my unknown "lab" plants. They appear wimpier than standard tobacco in general. These are pretty old and beat up. Any idea roughly what they might be? I'm wondering if maybe they are a type of burley.

Attachments

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, many of us have interior house lights shining out our windows, as well as neighbors' (or, gasp! our own) insecurity lights blasting through the night, hitting some plants and not others.

Given that a momentary flash of light occurring after sunset resets a plant's night-length timer, it is truly a wonder that anything at all grows within the long reach of automobile headlamps.

Bob