Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

South American Dark Twist Tobacco

MysticMapacho

I've got a friend who's from Peru and when he travels to visit family he always brings me back
some of the native tobacco which I think is Nicotiana Rustica. Last time he brought me back what the natives call Anaconda tobacco. It was a long inch and a half thick roll of compressed leaf that was out of this world and so strong and flavorful. It was like the Peruvian version of perique.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Any idea what type of tobacco I’m getting from Peru? It’s super strong and almost black in color.

Here is a photo of N. Rustica leaves:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
a long inch and a half thick roll of compressed leaf
There is no easy way to determine the specific tobacco variety, if that even matters. This sounds like an aged "twist" of some sort, which produces a strong, dark tobacco.

Have a look at this video (not in English).

Bob

Edit: Arapiraca is a potent N. tabacum variety grown in various areas of the high plateau of the Andes.

And another perspective:

Last edited:

MysticMapacho

There is no easy way to determine the specific tobacco variety, if that even matters. This sounds like an aged "twist" of some sort, which produces a strong, dark tobacco.

Have a look at this video (not in English).

Bob

Edit: Arapiraca is a potent N. tabacum variety grown in various areas of the high plateau of the Andes.

And another perspective:

Thanks for sharing these videos! This looks like the exact tobacco my friend would bring back from Peru for me. Can't believe they're smoking it straight up though. I turned green when I tired that once

These videos have inspired me to search for somewhere I can order online.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I just scanned through the 86 accessions for Nicotiana rustica in the ARS-GRIN database. So far as I can determine, none of them originated from Peru. Three of them are from Brazil. That is, of course, not a comprehensive survey of what was growing there.

Bob

Alpine

Hummm... we have a few rustica strains here in Italy named after Brazil: Brasile selvaggio for example. But I’m not convinced that the original plants were actually from Brazil.
In Jessica Nicot paper (somewhere here on the forum) the following rustica strains are cited:
Brasile selvaggio
Brasilia leccese
Erbasanta
and all have the origin “Brazil”. This is wrong (leccese is an adjective, and means from the town of Lecce, in the Italian region of Puglia) and “erbasanta” (literally sacred grass) is the most ancient Italian word for “tobacco”
This confirms that not all the informations from Ars-grin are particularly accurate, especially for the older accessions.

pier

MysticMapacho

Here's a website where you can purchase Mapacho rolls made from Nicotiana Rustica. This is the strongest tobacco I've ever smoked. Best used as a condiment like you would perique.

Last edited:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Here's a website where you can purchase Mapacho rolls made from Nicotiana Rustica. This is the strongest tobacco I've ever smoked. Best used as a condiment like you would perique.

Lol. I thought it was cigar sized until I saw the photos. :D It’s a log.