Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Spots on burley and film on commercial perique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jb00

Hey all, I have recently received a lb of burley tobacco and I’m curious about what the spots on the some of the leaves are called. I know it isn’t mold, I’m just curious.

the first picture is the burley and the second is the the perique.

The perique is McClelland mixing perique. It had a very pronounced vinegary/ pungent barnyard type smell last year when I last had it out. Now it has almost a chocolate cake smell to it and developed a light film over it. It does not appear to fluffy like mold.
have anyone of you ever seen this with commercially produced tobacco?

I greatly appreciate any help

Jacob

Attachments

• 8DA3B65F-F874-4D9F-BFE6-129987FA9DB8.jpeg
    8DA3B65F-F874-4D9F-BFE6-129987FA9DB8.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 22DBCF2A-BC61-4A4B-8379-8D00C8B33ADF.jpeg
    22DBCF2A-BC61-4A4B-8379-8D00C8B33ADF.jpeg
    422.4 KB · Views: 33
  • D57DA965-64ED-43E5-89E2-D0375DDEDEBE.jpeg
    D57DA965-64ED-43E5-89E2-D0375DDEDEBE.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 34

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The spots on the burley are sometimes called frog-eye. Perique becomes perique with the aid of the yeast Pichia anomala. Even after storage, the viable yeast is still there. I don't know what the characteristically McClellan vinegar smell was from--likely vinegar that they applied to their tobaccos. Vinegar is acidic. Pichia anomala causes tobacco to become more alkaline. No telling what the combination results would be. If the perique doesn't smell moldy, I would be inclined to go ahead and try a blend with it.

Bob

Davo

Ahi Ka - Well-Known Member
It’s supposed to flow gracefully off the tongue as one word like; “piece of piss”, “buggered as”, “hard case” or even “spin a yarn”....come to think of it, we speak poorly here in New Zealand and everything gets jumbled into one word without intonation. Imagine that, gone pause burgers. Now you’re gone and made a mare out of it

ChinaVoodoo

It’s supposed to flow gracefully off the tongue as one word like; “piece of piss”, “buggered as”, “hard case” or even “spin a yarn”....come to think of it, we speak poorly here in New Zealand and everything gets jumbled into one word without intonation. Imagine that, gone pause burgers. Now you’re gone and made a mare out of it
Thank you for explaining. I suppose I shouldn't have started an off topic tangent.

Frog eye!

plantdude

Thank you for explaining. I suppose I shouldn't have started an off topic tangent.

Frog eye!
Neither one of you need to feel bad, I'm in the south. I'll give you sixteen guesses on the correct pronunciation of "Louisiana" and the word "skittles" (the candy) according to people that can speak properly around here. My wife is constantly mocked for having the "accent" down here - I probably would be too but being the typical male I can get away with the grunting and pointing routine during most social interactions.

Just FYI - lose ey ana and skAt-tLLes. Long a in skittles along with a long L. No idea where the long a comes from but its very much there and seems to be important along with the L.

As a dude though I can't point to the south and go Lousahhahh and people know what I mean.
No idea about skittles though, dudes just don't discuss the rainbows of flavors in these parts much;)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Neither one of you need to feel bad, I'm in the south. I'll give you sixteen guesses on the correct pronunciation of "Louisiana" and the word "skittles" (the candy) according to people that can speak properly around here. My wife is constantly mocked for having the "accent" down here - I probably would be too but being the typical male I can get away with the grunting and pointing routine during most social interactions.

Just FYI - lose ey ana and skAt-tLLes. Long a in skittles along with a long L. No idea where the long a comes from but its very much there and seems to be important along with the L.

As a dude though I can't point to the south and go Lousahhahh and people know what I mean.
No idea about skittles though, dudes just don't discuss the rainbows of flavors in these parts much;)
I hear ya there slaw dog. Had a cousin lived in Nawwlins. (New Orleans for the uninitiated) :D

Davo

Ahi Ka - Well-Known Member
You should just all be grateful you can’t hear the Aussie accent through the forum. Now that is something else!

(To be honest I have no issue with their accent, apart from the pronunciation of “6”, but I’m statutory obligated to mock it)

Status
Not open for further replies.